Possibly a new route instead of the b20

Rich-PMS

Well, the b20 I had picked up has a few hairline cracks in the sleeve and I'm not looking to spend a ton at the machine shop to regrind the crank, and yada yada.

So I've been thinking of another motorto drop in, and still be under/around the budget I had planned to build the b20. So I'm leaning towards a GSR motor, and keeping my trans. There's an importing company about an hour away from me- so I'll be sourcing motor there.

Anyway- no matter how much I try searhing about obd0-obd1-obd2 the answers are NEVER consistant!

So- obviously the car is obd0, I'd prefer to get a motor that's obd2 only because it'll be newer, and hasn't sat around as long either.

Now, I know i can swap stuff around and make it work, bu is it possible to run obd1 engine harness&ecu and simply convert motor to obd1?

Which is the easiest way to go about this?

Prozon

Kris
Yeah, you can convert it. You'll have to use OBD1 injectors/distributor as well as harness and ECU though.
(If I recall, I know somebody will chime in about that.)

So what was your original motor budget? I say get an LS motor and turbo it. :)
Or get the GSR motor and build it.

Kind of depends on your budget and your goals. But turbo's just sound cool. :D

Rich-PMS

jdm engine depot?
Yes sir.

As for buying another motor and building it, the ONLY reason I became so interested in building a motor was because I got the block for 20$ if I buy another motor that's nearly 750+ plus 1k for cams/valvetrain, 450$ misc maintenance, 600 for rods/pistons, 400 bearings and studs, then another 800 for dyno tune& software.

My budget is roughly 2k. I set it a little LOW so I dont get mad if I go over budget a little bit.

Gsr motor, stage 1 cams, adj cam gears, timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, antifreeze, oil, filter.
That'll be close to my 2k budget

I know there's tuning availabe for obd0 now, so would it be easier to transfer over my injectors, distributor, and altanator over to new motor?

Rich-PMS

I'll most likely build my LS for boost and drop it into another shell next year.

But for now I'm pretty sure on dropping a gsr in the DA for a good daily

Prozon

Kris
That's not a bad idea. I was going to build my motor for boost and drop it in a different shell later, but I decided just to do it now lol.

Rich-PMS

Talking to a member on here about possibly buying his built gsr motor :)

well see what happens