Power Steering "Punk" lol

j13

Keep It Clean
Power Steering Pump

Well I think my Power Steering Pump is shot...its a pully on the front right side (facing the front of the car) of the engine and its making a weird noise... kinda like a grinding friction noise. Its not a loose belt or a squeek or anything. To be honest, is this even the P.S.P? The tension in the belt seems VERY VERY tight...should it be like this? Their is no play in the belt AT ALL. Would adjusting the tension help any? Is there a bushing or bearing to oil or replace? I thought it was the alternater bearing but the noise is coming from this pully for sure, when I put it to my ear I know its coming from here...

This is what I'm talking about:

What should I do :(

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Yes that is the power steering pump. I suggest you replace the fluid in the PS system, It probably has been a while since a flush has taken place.

j13

Keep It Clean
Yes that is the power steering pump. I suggest you replace the fluid in the PS system, It probably has been a while since a flush has taken place.
I never thought it might be the fluid...I will flush it first thing next month along with all the other oils and fluids and filters.

It sounds like a skateboard bearing sound

First off check the level, you are probably low, but a flush would be best.
I will check the level and I didn't even check it yet the reason is because I wasn't 100% sure that was the P.S.P.

I know low power steering fluid sounds like a whinney sound when the wheels are being turned, but I don't hear anything. Everything runs smooth, steering rack is tight no slop.

Does anyone know how a bad PSP sounds like?

Ill make a video

j13

Keep It Clean
Ok I checked the res and I found a broken dipstick...so I'm not sure what's full or what's Low.. The car is 100% cold, whta do you think? How does the fluid look?

Also it says on the resivor cap to use Honda Poewer Steering fluid only, could I use my own? I have a full new bottle laying around..

Thanks for any input

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
theres marks on the side of the resroivor that tell you if it full or if it needs more, but that looks like its full from the picture

and thats not a broken dipstick, power steering resroivors dont have dipsticks

j13

Keep It Clean
So it doesn't look low? Ok...probably old then.
So its not broken? It shows the level on the side? I see! All my other cars have it on the res cap a, stick that dips in that shows a Cold and Hot level.. Thanks for the reply :)

mirrorimg

Correct, thats just a cap.

You need to either use Honda/Acura PS fluid, or PS fluid formulated for use on Hondas/Acuras. It would say it on the bottle.

And for your information, clean fluid looks similar to oil, a clear light tan color. I suggest you flush yours. If that doesnt fix the issue, you may want to take the pump off, and take the 4 bolts holding the cover on and see how she looks on the inside. I do not know if you would be able to find new replacement gears for the inside, but it would be cheaper than purchasing an entire new pump.

j13

Keep It Clean
Correct, thats just a cap.

You need to either use Honda/Acura PS fluid, or PS fluid formulated for use on Hondas/Acuras. It would say it on the bottle.

And for your information, clean fluid looks similar to oil, a clear light tan color. I suggest you flush yours. If that doesnt fix the issue, you may want to take the pump off, and take the 4 bolts holding the cover on and see how she looks on the inside. I do not know if you would be able to find new replacement gears for the inside, but it would be cheaper than purchasing an entire new pump.
Thanks MirrorImg for the helpful info! But guess what...its not the Power Steering Pump!! I took off the belt and started the car and I'm getting the same "dry bearing" noise!!! Its coming from the same location where the PSP was at though...next thing it could be is the AC pump? Or what the hell is this thing? It has a hose coming out of it with two wires connected on the side(pictured below). Is it safe to disconnect then starting the car? It has to be this because its coming from the same spot and this thing sits under the PSP.. If it isn't this, its probably the belt tensioner...

I'm getting close..:)

mirrorimg

That is the AC compressor. Im not quite sure how the wires on it work, but you can just as easily remove the belt on the AC like you did the PS belt. You just wont have AC.

I think the AC has a clutch in it that engages when you turn it on, which is where you get the parasitic draw from. Its probably going bad.

XxCaryxX

OP, you said it sounds like a skateboard bearing? Hmm, that sound is similar to when my cooling fan went bad on me. The noise level on mine was embarrassingly loud though. Just a thought and GL getting her fixed man!

j13

Keep It Clean
OP, you said it sounds like a skateboard bearing? Hmm, that sound is similar to when my cooling fan went bad on me. The noise level on mine was embarrassingly loud though. Just a thought and GL getting her fixed man!
The noise happens/happened when the fan is off. So I know it wasn't it. Thanks for the tip though

That is the AC compressor. Im not quite sure how the wires on it work, but you can just as easily remove the belt on the AC like you did the PS belt. You just wont have AC.

I think the AC has a clutch in it that engages when you turn it on, which is where you get the parasitic draw from. Its probably going bad.
I took off the top bolts to unbolt the Compressor, hoping it would pop off, but I then realized it was 2 more bolts on the bottom...wasn't possible for me to take those bolts off ATM...so I take off the Power Steering Pump than adjusted the Compressor belt tenstioner and loosen it, to take off the belt. I then look off the belt off the pullys hoping I could take it out the car but their is a rod going thru the belt to I can't take it off!!!...so I just sat it there...started the car and NO NOISE!! I found the problem. I bolted the P.S.P back then mounted both belts I adjusted the Compressor tentioner in a way that it was very loose, I ran the car made sure it didn't squeek or anything. Since its still spinning the Compressor it makes a little noise not like before. Gotta find a way to take off the belt or I might cut it off and take out the Compressor!

wow...I love trouble shooting :)

Thanks for everyones help! Honestly I couldn't of done it without you guys

mirrorimg

You cant take the compressor off and take the lines off before you drain the refrigerant properly at a auto place.

That rod you see is the bar that extends into the lower torque mount. If you look under the car while its on jack stands, you will see there are 2 bolts (or 3, not sure) holding the torque mount to the frame. If you take it off, you should be able to slide the belt off. Or just cut it off as you said. Good luck.