Preventing body Rust and Saving your Brake/Fuel Lines (Salted, snowy roads!)

champagne_teg

I've stored my Integra for the past month and a half since this winter has been harsher than usual.

I removed the side skirts, and applied a mixture of heavy duty "waterproof marine/bearing grease" and old motor oil to the metal underneath it and in the rear wheel wells, as well as under the door sills where salt/grit can stick.

Was driving with no skirts so salt and grit wouldn't get trapped and could be easily washed away in carwashes. Most Tegs around here are rustbuckets and I've observed where they rust.

Rust under the side skirts on Civic EG:

I also cut the plastic tabs and casing under the car that hold the fuel and brake lines tightly to the car. The lines are still tight, it's just that I notice that it traps a lot of salt, sand and junk which is the main reason people have to spend a fortune to have the brake/gas lines replaced. I also applied thick grease over these lines and it's still there doing it's job.

Despite this, I decided to thoroughly wash the teg and store it. The amount of SALT and SALT BRINE (liquid salt) they use on the roads in Ontario (think similar to Michigan or New York) is unreal. I washed the car once a week- but still - yuck!

this is what I was talking about:
I removed this plastic (not my car):

So that this wouldn't happen::eek:

The mechanic explains it in this video...... common on all 90s era Hondas (WATCH the first 1 minute and 45 seconds :werd:):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ctcVyRAyI

Does anyone else have any tips for rust prevention?

:popcorn:

This is the marine grease I was talking about. It's sheds off water/moisture and sticks like glue. Use the cheapest stuff you can find! :)

Got the tip from a friend in the auto bodyshop industry who has seen far too many Hondas with rust.

Last edited:

Dc5user

Are u advertising that rust prevent glue? Cuz it didn't get me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

champagne_teg

Just saying that these tips will prevent/stop rust. I'm hardly trying to sell anything. If you live in the snowbelt, remove your side skirt, take a look at your gas/brake lines. Just saying, winter/salted roads are tough on our cars. Newer designed vehicles (even newer era hondas) are much more resilient to rust.

Washing my car once a week during the winter has proven to be successful for me as well.

I don't care about lucas. Infact, I didn't even use lucas brand. I used the cheapest "waterproof/marine" grease I could find.

Post edited to remove lucas bottle.....

Last edited:

72Spitfire

I just replaced all the hard brake and fuel lines in the fall. I plasti-dipped the lines. In the spring, i peel off, wash and re-dip. I do the same with the entire underbody, only i use 3M professional undercoat. Every spring i do a serious under carriage wash.