Problem going into gear - PLEASE HELP!

Devilry

Ok, I am not sure what happen to my old login here. But anyway, I have a major problem and could really use some help from you guys. So here it goes;

1) One day I was driving and came to a stop at a toll, everything previously was fine minus a slight grind up high in 3rd gear.

2) When I came to a stop, I went to proceed .. push in clutch and then it wouldnt really go into gear.. i had to like force it extremely hard.. at that point it would go up to about 2000 rpm and then fall out of gear I guess you could say.

3) So, I decided it is time to do some maintenance and from looking on all my regular forums it seemed to be clutch, no big deal. I replaced Clutch, Pressure plate, throw out bearing, and resurfaced flywheel.

4) So I go to crank her up after being finished.. first of all I notice my clutch pedal is loose feeling and doesnt want to spring back up very much, and after reading it seemed maybe clutch cable needed tightened .. so I did on the tranny as much as possible.. didnt do much

5) I go to put it in gear.. EXACT same thing.. push it into gear.. wont budge..

So what the heck is my problem? I wasted a ton of time and money.. and now I am at a complete loss.. I am tired and frustrated and really hope someone can help me out.. please let me know what you guys think.

Devilry

It is a '90. So if I may ask, what makes you think this and how can I resolve/troubleshoot? I am just confused as all heck now.

Devilry

when the car is off, it goes into gear fine, when I start it.. it wont budge 1 thru 5.. when i go to put in reverse it grinds

Only thing I have not tried is to tighten/loosen the clutch cable from under the dash.. so I figure I can give that a shot here in a few minutes.. but I don't think that will be of any help for this reason;

I can see having to mess with the clutch cable adjustment after the install.. but how weird is it that I have the EXACT same problem before/after install all of that stuff?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
yeah, its deffinately not fully releasing. check the cable mounting points or something that would cause too much slack in it.

COBO

DB7
yeah i had this same problem happen to my buddys car and and the only thing i could think if it not your clutch then its your clutch master cylinder because it might not be building up enough pressure to disingage the clutch and flywheel maybe you got some air in your line but iam not forsure

Devilry

ok well let me ask you this, and by the way.. thanks for your help so far... should the arm that the clutch cable is attached to (brain is fried.. cant think of the name) be pull up really tight or down... I have about an inch of play in the cable it seems.. and the arm will move about 1/2 inch or inch or so i would say..

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
yeah, its deffinately not fully releasing. check the cable mounting points or something that would cause too much slack in it.
I agree. It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging.
yeah i had this same problem happen to my buddys car and and the only thing i could think if it not your clutch then its your clutch master cylinder because it might not be building up enough pressure to disingage the clutch and flywheel maybe you got some air in your line but iam not forsure
It's a '90, it does not have a hydraulic clutch.

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
there is an adjuster on the transmission i's self that let's you tighten the tension of the cable. some times it gets loose/ un adjust's iself, sometimes the damn little plastic adjuster peice brakes causes slack and does exactly what your car is doing. It happend to me yesterday I burned my hand trying to adjust the damn thing, but it was that or drive 100 miles and having to jam in the shifter every time I Changed a gear.
try adjusting it and see how it feels if it's tighend up and it's still doing the same thing, the cable may be stretched and in need of replacement.

Last edited: