Problem! Spring install FAIL..

01FTW

Alright ya'll here's my dilemma. Bought some cheap blue ebay springs that were suppose to lower the teg 2 inches. Well after finishing the front drivers side I was disappointed to see that it wasn't much lower (or lower at all) than the 1.5 inch lowering springs I already had on there.

So being pissed (was working in the 25 degree cold) I decided that I would put the rear lowering springs on the front (as they looked shorter). So I installed the new rear lowering springs in the front and the drop was LOW, almost too low, id say 2.5-2.75 in. maybe.. I am assuming they were the rear as they were shorter than the fronts. So i figured OK, its low, but still looks good.

Well, I went out driving and IMMEDIATELY felt the front end BOUNCINESS! Seriously, I even felt the bounce when shifting. Now I realize that I probably made a mistake, but I dont feel like going through all the work of putting the old ones back on again.

I do plan on getting some high end lowering springs or coilovers in about a month, but my question is: Wil it be OK to drive like this in the mean time? I mean is it safe? Like I said it feels bouncy as hell, and Im worried that the spring might just bust or come off or something. By putting the rears on the front could I possibly cause damage or compromise my safety while driving?

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
thats probably the problem.. cheap springs = cheap quality

plus the rear springs arent meant to hold the weight of the engine like front are.

I think you answered your own questions by putting the wrong stuff in the wrong spots. lol

WAR 178

Premium User
i would think so...the spring rates more than likely are diff. between the f/r, also they havent settled or broken in yet so its goin a lil bit lower than it is....

also now you want to buy a higher price set, and spent money on the crap set. always be patient and save up so you only cry(in the pocket) once.

Last edited:

01FTW

So do yall think itll be ok to drive the teg like this for about a month or so?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
:what:

really is up to you. I'd suggest going back to what you had before until you can get something better, but I dont think its going to actually hurt anything toooo bad

WAR 178

Premium User
switch em! its not worth the risk of mackin up your teggy for the sake of looks

01FTW

i would think so...the spring rates more than likely are diff. between the f/r, also they havent settled or broken in yet so its goin a lil bit lower than it is....

also now you want to buy a higher price set, and spent money on the crap set. always be patient and save up so you only cry(in the pocket) once.
I know man, I realize that I would of been much better of had I just waited until I had enough for a better set of springs. What pisses me off is that even though these were ebay no names, they still didnt lower like they were suppose to the front looked identical to the springs I already had on there,,

Also, the ones that were already on there were ebay ones as wellm but they were stiff, not bouncy, and dropped at the height they were suppose to. I guess some ebay brand springs are better than others...

WAR 178

Premium User
yea they had to be 2 diff. grades of steel, and one never knows the process of how they were made/compressed.
I prolly would have heated and cut the springs b4 I went with ebay springs lol

01FTW

OK guys I guess I might just put the front springs back on :evil:

So when I do buy my new springs which do you recommend? Im looking for around a 2in drop.

I might get coilovers but if I do they will be cheaper ones like the form and functions (although I hear those are pretty decent for their price).

What do yall suggest?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
H&R makes nice lowering springs. I dont remember how low they were, but basically anything with a name brand that's recognized is going to be a decent thing to buy, and most of those companies are going to have a couple different drop springs for ya