Problem with engine electrical, Accord

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
Ok, I don't know where else to post this one. I have been working on my 97 accord for a few weeks. I had an oil leak around the vtec solenoid so I fixed that, put on a new starter and cleaned the egr port and passages. I get it all put back together and a little time had passed so i had to recharge the battery. I plugged in a trickle charger on the battery overnight and that seemed to take care of it.

The problem is that when I go to start it I get several weird things happening. With the key at position 2, the speedometer hovers at 30, the tach bounces from 500 to 1200 or so in a regular pattern that matches a pulsing sound that I have traced to the ignitor under the distributor cap.

I noticed that when I disconnect the ground wire from the vtec solenoid, the pulsing stops.

Additionally, I tested the fuel pump relay, and it works, but the fuel pump is getting no power.

When I turn the key, the starter works and the motor turns but without fuel. :(

There seems to be nothing on the google about chargers screwing stuff up but I think something was. I just can't track it down.

Any ideas besides throwing parts at it?

Last edited:

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
I was thinking the same thing but I couldn't find it.

So I called a friend of mine who is hard to get in contact with but is a master tech for Honda. Within 10 seconds of stating my problem he told me there is a ground wire on the back of the manifold and I must have left it loose. And that is exactly what I did.

The lesson here is for me to take pictures, with notes and don't lose track of ground wires.

Thanks

mirrorimg

I was thinking the same thing but I couldn't find it.

So I called a friend of mine who is hard to get in contact with but is a master tech for Honda. Within 10 seconds of stating my problem he told me there is a ground wire on the back of the manifold and I must have left it loose. And that is exactly what I did.

The lesson here is for me to take pictures, with notes and don't lose track of ground wires.

Thanks
Civics have this wire, sometimes it will rub against a bracket and actually short out intermittently, or break.