Problem with Registration

navysailor956

Okay so I have to get my car registered, I've had it for about 2 months already with no registration or plates. I have the title and insurance, only problem is I bought the car from my old roommate, and he bought it from someone else. Neither my old roommate or the guy he bought it from registered the car under their name. So the car is still under the original owners name, well he doesnt live within driving distance and the DMV wont let me transfer the title. Help with this please. Oh yeah im currently in Illinois.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
shoulda looked in to the car more before purchasing. i say, contact the original owner to see if he can try to transfer it under your name. if not, the guy he sold it to, then your room mate, then to you.

im sure the dmv could try to do something for you.

hoo yah!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
yeah man. that sucks.. i dont know what else to say.

i wouldve gotten the car from someone that had all the paper work

Prozon

Kris
Send a letter to the guy with your number.

There is a process for getting the title, it takes two years to get the title, but I believe you can register it sooner. Something like sending a First Class approved postal mail thing to original owner with a form, they need to sign for the letter to get it.. Either they contact you and help you out, or it gets sent back because no one was there to sign for it. When it comes back returned you can take it to the DMV and they'll register it or something rather.

Basically a long and annoying process the licensing place will fill you in on. Cross your fingers you can get a hold of that original owner.

JDMb20DC2

Why do they need the original owner? Shouldn't you be able to sign the title as the new owner?

navysailor956

I got it all figured out yesterday. it was a pretty complicated process, but now the car is officially mine. It cost me 325 dollars though! Illinois sucks!!

Prozon

Kris
I was under the impression that they did not have the title or it was not signed.
(Actually if it wasn't signed you could probably just forge the signature. Lol.)

What did it take to get it registered?

sleepyteg

I don't mean to thread jck. but i just bought my new teggy and i bought it from somebody who buys and sells. I have the title with the original owners signiture. thats all i need right?

p.s. i live in jersey