Problem

stormnorman

So my battery light comes on at start up however if im above 2 rpm it dissapears, my car seems to be running fine though. you guys think its the alternator acting up?

Prozon

Kris
It sounds like it. If it's just idling it will be on right?
Revving the engine will make the alternator turn faster, which would makeit charge more.. it could be going out.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If you car starts fine but the lights is on, alternator going bad. Try turning on the radio, fans, a/c, headlights and see what happens when idling. I guess you can do what Samurai said but do not think you can do that to all cars as it could fry the computer costing lots of Mulah$$$ -Aaron

stormnorman

yeah its on when it idles,
took off the neg terminal and the car died, what does that mean again? my battery voltage is at 12.4
i dont think the belt is loose
and holy shit i hope i did not fry my computer. however what should i look for when i turn on my lights radio ac/ etc. my idle has been fluctuating before this so if its the change in idle i dont think that would help.

stevoqb916

when your vehicle is running it no longer uses the battery it only uses the altinator try this trick at night park facing a wall or garage what ever turn on your lights and rev your engine if they get brighter your alternator is working at high rpms then with your lights on and the car running at a normal idle turn off your car with your lights still on if they dim it means while the car is on it is still working fine

WDEDMON1

yep dude...alternator. No other explanation. When ur idling, tap the son bich with a metal wrench and see if the light goes off. It prolly will and this means that the coils are goin bad in it. You need a new one

Go to auto zone or advanced auto. They will test it for you

stormnorman

yeah its the alternator, got it tested at my work, does anyone know of a thread for a How to do it yourself changing the alternator?

WDEDMON1

Well here we go:
In the manual it says you have to remove the half shaft, but you dont. Jack the car up, remove the top bolt(tension bolt), Remove the alternator wire connection(10mm Ithink), get up under the car and remove the half shaft bolt connecting to the engine(right in the middle) (do not remove half shaft), remove the last bolt on the bottom of the alternator. The altenator should come out with a bit of wiggling. Then remove the alternator past the half shaft underneath the car. Its a bit** but it will come past the shaft if u angle it right. Installation is reverse of removal.

Ur arms are gonna be tired after doing this lol

This is how I did mine. Hope it works out

stormnorman

Well here we go:
In the manual it says you have to remove the half shaft, but you dont. Jack the car up, remove the top bolt(tension bolt), Remove the alternator wire connection(10mm Ithink), get up under the car and remove the half shaft bolt connecting to the engine(right in the middle) (do not remove half shaft), remove the last bolt on the bottom of the alternator. The altenator should come out with a bit of wiggling. Then remove the alternator past the half shaft underneath the car. Its a bit** but it will come past the shaft if u angle it right. Installation is reverse of removal.

Ur arms are gonna be tired after doing this lol

This is how I did mine. Hope it works out
Well im gonna have a fun day tomorrow lol. were the hoses overhead any prob for you cuz i looked and i was like theres a couple things in the way haha

WDEDMON1

Not long, maybe an hour. And yea they were fkin annoying. Just remove the ones you can out the way. Unbolt the main harness that is mounted to ur frame and move you clutch cable out the way( i think there is a rubber hose there somewheres. But yea youll get very annoyed man. Promise.