Proud new owner of '00 GSR.

The Sasquatch

My name is Jordan, I am 18, I live in central Indiana, and I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Integra GSR. This is the the first Honda/Acura I have owned and let me say I LOVE IT! My previous car which is now a backburner future project car is a 94 ford probe gt (i know, big step up) and I come from a very active and warm community at probetalk.com. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning as much as possible about these cars.

Now for my first question hahaha....

Like I said I have very little driving experiences with these cars and all Hondas in general. I have somewhat of an understanding of VTEC since it is a similar technology to VRIS which is the variable timing technology that Mazda uses and was present on my probe. I am curious as to when VTEC kicks in in these cars. From the little Ive driven it so far, I would guesstimate somewhere between 6k and 7k?

97gsrjames

The Sasquatch said:
My name is Jordan, I am 18, I live in central Indiana, and I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Integra GSR. This is the the first Honda/Acura I have owned and let me say I LOVE IT! My previous car which is now a backburner future project car is a 94 ford probe gt (i know, big step up) and I come from a very active and warm community at probetalk.com. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning as much as possible about these cars.

Now for my first question hahaha....

Like I said I have very little driving experiences with these cars and all Hondas in general. I have somewhat of an understanding of VTEC since it is a similar technology to VRIS which is the variable timing technology that Mazda uses and was present on my probe. I am curious as to when VTEC kicks in in these cars. From the little Ive driven it so far, I would guesstimate somewhere between 6k and 7k?
Here are the 3 stages: :)
Stage 1 (0-4400 RPM): Low-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 2 (4400-5800 RPM): High-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 3 (5800+ RPM): High-lift cam lobe and short intake runners.

trentoncc24

Well, the most noticeably different thing about driving one of these is most the power is in the upper revs, and growing up I was taught reving engines high was bad for the car/truck, then all the sudden I end up with a car that tacs out at 8 grand. I was like hmmm, is that normal? I was expecting it to be zippy and quick in all rpms (not knowing at the time, all I knew were they were supposivly fast lil sport cars) however I quickly realized to get going quick, you pretty much gotta give it the upper revs. However you can get around town just fine stayin under 5 grand. Its a pretty fast gas savin sporty car, I love mine. Its just different than any car I've drove, and so far its the funnest :D

PogKai

B20VTEC
Welcome, woot another 00 GSR here.. post pix!

The Sasquatch

PogKai said:
Welcome, woot another 00 GSR here.. post pix!
Pics
Here are some pictures I took last night, the first night I had the car, lined up in a parking lot with my friends' civic and prelude. The pictures arent great because it was dark, but you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the responses about VTEC. So what is a pretty average RPM to shift at under normal, economy driving conditions? I'm used to shifting around 3k for economy style on most cars i've driven and it seems a bit low on the teg. I'm just curious where would be the ideal place to shift if I was going purely for gas mileage?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I shift at or just before 3K. Just over 3K if I have the AC on and/or I'm on an incline. I average 31mpg city/hwy mix. And I use cruise control alot, that helps mileage too.

Last edited:

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Damn, I should've been paying attention.

GSR looks real nice. Suspension should be on your "to do list" haha