Question for the import drivers...why drive em?

sleeperintegra

I was asked a question last night...."If a Civic and an IROC were ready to do battle, who would win? Obviously, the IROC would, so why not just drive a car that would easily run 9s than drive a 16 second turtle? What is the big hype over japanese cars and why are they preferred when Mustangs can easily be tuned to be faster?"

What do y'all think? (first mistake is having a civic :thumbs up )

Last edited:

DownShift96GSR

I never thought about it that way, but it's more than just the ease of going fast. It's also the style of car, quality and dependability etc etc..........

slikk

Money Getter
you can get a mustang with is great in a straight line or get an integra which is fun in the curves.
making the integra fast in a straight line is a by-product

MoJoJoJo

Banned
Well depends, if u want everything thats there already made by somebody else, someboy else's ideas, mods and specs.

or would u rather be the one to design ur car, tune it, and make it ur own ideas, mods, and specs. Imports, u can turn a reg. car civic or integra or watever step by step part by part, to make it faster, better, and do it the way u want it. its just knowing the fact that u build this car is pleasing enough. when u start from 17's and go to 8's 9's (13's on our budget hehe ) its a big deal.

Last edited:

boobz

i like jap. car for the fact that better gas milage. but like you ppl said you can make a jap car look alot better, and they are more fun to tune.

DownShift96GSR

Here's a domestic person's repsonse........."It's a four cylinder, its weak". To me its this, me in my 4 cylinder get beat by an 8 cylinder, no biggie, its suppose to happen that way right? I would hate to have an 8 cylinder and be all thinking I'm high and mighty and get beat by a 4 cylinder, that's how I look at it.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
i was looking to buy a 3rd gen Camaro for a while (82-92) but i decided on a Honda (after many other considerations)

the main reason... Price
another main reason... Availability

there are so many hondas out there, and they all go for pretty cheap. i picked mine up for 2500 (if i knew the engine had a problem, i could have talked him down more)

plus the engines are incredibly easy to work on. and mostly cheap to fix. also they are great on gas mileage.

my old vehicle was a 90 Jeep Cherokee which i had to fuel up every 250 miles, doesnt sound bad, but considering i was getting around 14-16 mpg, it sucked, especially on my wallet, seeing as i would have to fill up like every 3 or 4 days. with my old head, i was getting around 250-260 to the tank, but it only cost me like 15 bucks. (10 gallons at a time). now with the new head, im getting 30 mpg(but gas prices have rose 50 cents here :evil:

plus when you fix up hondas, everybody still thinks they are just loud and obnoxious, therefore giving the sleeper effect.

my exterior mods would make it seem stock to a domestic lover, and only those who know about my car in specific know what ive done (and ive done a lot).

anyways, i still would take a 00 Camaro SS with Flowmasters over a S2k with supercharger anyday

Baldy201

Personally i like curves better than straight lines, just like my women. lol. Back on topic. anyone can make a car go in a straight line but it takes a special car to go fast around a bunch of curves. Someone on T-I.net said "fast cars drag, fast drivers auto-x." Just like eviloliv3 said i like the gas mileage also. I am able to modify my car so much more since my car does not cost me 30 bucks every week.
Fixibilty is huge also. Have you looked into an engine bay of an domestic V8 or even V6. they are jamed. My sister drives a 96 dogde stratus and the engine bay is so jam packed that the battery is in the wheel well.

Why do i drive a Jap over a Dom?
1) handles better.
2) easy on the wallet ie. gas
3) easy to repair.

B16aTeggy

we have a iroc here and my bros building up his firebird...

its not about speed.. handleing bla bla bla... its all on what u want... imports are the new age car.. just like when 5.0s and irocs whatever it maybe, when they came out they were hott shit. times have changed so have teh cars

Prez

we drive them cuz we love them, and would rather drop 20k on a civic than drop 20k into a muscle car..being that we dont have enough money to buy a mustang as a first car, or have enough money to buy one but dotn cuz we want something different..and owning a civic isnt a mistake being that SOME civics are quick...

Gigarange

My biggest reason for driving an import...at first anyawyz was simply cost.

I had a '70 Camaro before I got my teg.
I owned it outright and paid for gas insurance and maintanence on it (only ever did the brakes in the 2 years owning it)

On my teg I had gas, insurance ($25/month more expensive) and a $200/month car payment.

even with the $225/month extra cost for the teg...it was still that much cheaper on gas then my Camaro that I spent less a month on the teg then the Camaro.

I also went from having defrost and vent, am radio, rusty as hell Camaro...too power everything, nice stereo, a/c cruise etc etc on my teg for less a month.

I love all cars domestic or import. If I could afford it I'd get another Camaro, or Chevelle or something in a heartbeat but I simply can not afford it. I've changed a few things on my teg but have no desire to make it fast...because I know it will never be as fast as I want to go. When something breaks I replace it with something aftermarket...thats it.

I've now come to love Japanese cars/bikes. not just Honda's but Nissan's, Toyota's, etc etc. My next car will probably be something Nissan...simply because...they can go close to as fast as I want to go ;)

DownShift96GSR

Yeah gas milage. A friend of mine has a Suburban and filled up his tank and took him like $35 dollars on something like 18 gallons and he gets about 350 mi a tank, I think. I told him I filled up my tank with 10 gallons on 20 dollars and that I get an average of 300 mi a tank. He got so pissed. Then me and my other Honda buddies were giving him and these other guys shit for their gas expenses.