Questions About My Can Swap

drevans_satx

Dylan
Finally after having a skunk2 paperweight for 5 months I'm going to drop them in my car. I've already read up on every how to possible and none seemed to answer my seemingly stupid question.

What is the easiest/safest way to get the cam gears off my current set and on the new set??? I have just about every tool a person would need, but now I need smarts.

Also once I degree my cams in to the s2 quick settings do you think I can make a ~25 mile drive to the tuner on my current tune. All I'm changing are the cams so in my mind it seems possible.

Thanks guys,

Dylan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Easiest way to get the cam gears off is probably to use the TDC hole marks on the cams. Use a punch in the holes at the top of the cams while they're at TDC to keep the cams from moving. Not too sure what the best way to torque them on the new cams. Probably using the timing belt to lock them in place. Get them as tight as you can then put the cams back in the head. Once the timing belt is back on, use the crank pulley wrench to keep the engine from turning so you can torque the cam gears.

Local

Tuner 2's I think? I'd say its fine to drive under vtec for that distance. No romping of course

Muckman

Not a M0derator
lol @ can swap.

Im not a fan of the pin method bc the stress the pin puts on the camshaft and the camshaft holder plates when torqued. If the cam gear bolt is difficult to loosen you may crack something. Many aftermarket cams dont even have the pin holes so that method wont work for install. I take the cams out, wrap them in a shop towel and then sandwich them between two peices of wood length wise in a vise. This keeps them from turning or damaging the surface of the cams.

Remember to torque the cam gear bolt to 41 ft-lbs

2kdb7

I know when I swapped my head on the ls the cams had a place to put a wrench. I wanna say it was like a 1" wrench. Not too sure how vtec cams are or aftermarket

drevans_satx

Dylan
Oh god damn auto correct lol.

I was thinking about the shop towel and vise method. Since you've done it I'll go ahead and give that way a go.

The cams ate tuner2's yeah. I didn't plan on going above 3.5k rpms

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2