questions about pulleys

teggy2281

hey guys i'm thinking of gettin an aftermarket pulleys and i don't know what type pf brand i should getand which one is the best one.or is it not advisable to replace the stock pulleys to an aftermarket one.hopefully you guys can help me out.thanks

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
teggy2281 said:
hey guys i'm thinking of gettin an aftermarket pulleys and i don't know what type pf brand i should getand which one is the best one.or is it not advisable to replace the stock pulleys to an aftermarket one.hopefully you guys can help me out.thanks
People still use those?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
my reccomendation would be Unorthodox Racing for brands. All of their pulleys are carved from a solid piece of billet aluminum. they are very sturdy! the question of whether to do it or not lies in your own preferences. i personally wouldn't run underdrive pulleys. they reduce the speed at which they spin all the accessories. the A/C won't be as cold and it will also spin the power steering pump, alternator and the rest a little slower. its a small amount of underdrive so it usually effects nothing adversely but i like my alternator and A/C to do as much as possible. Regular light weight pulleys will still free up a few HP on any car though, just not as much as the underdrive pulleys. less rotational inertia will free up something on any engine but the difference is minuscule between the two. the money could probably be better invested in another area of the car.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
dc2GS-R said:
my reccomendation would be Unorthodox Racing for brands. All of their pulleys are carved from a solid piece of billet aluminum. they are very sturdy! the question of whether to do it or not lies in your own preferences. i personally wouldn't run underdrive pulleys. they reduce the speed at which they spin all the accessories. the A/C won't be as cold and it will also spin the power steering pump, alternator and the rest a little slower. its a small amount of underdrive so it usually effects nothing adversely but i like my alternator and A/C to do as much as possible. Regular light weight pulleys will still free up a few HP on any car though, just not as much as the underdrive pulleys. less rotational inertia will free up something on any engine but the difference is minuscule between the two. the money could probably be better invested in another area of the car.
That's the best explanation of aftermarket pulley advantages and disadvantages I've ever seen on this site. Better than I could do for sho'!