Questions before header install.

Cman46290

Hey guys,

I just had a quick question before i install my new header this weekend....I have a 1997 GSR... and simply wanted to know if i would need to purchase and install a new gasket where the B-Pipe meets the CAT... or if i just remove the old gasket and install the header itself.... or if maybe i re-use the old gasket. I just want to be well prepared for when it all comes apart. Thanks all in advance~

Here is the header i bought... and what it looks like...

It did come with a gasket for where it bolts to the head obviously... but no gasket for where it connects to the CAT. The header was ordered from EBAY. (I know i know...ebay suck... but w/e thats now what this is about :) )

P.S. I did try to search this... didnt find much.

Last edited:

mjones73

Don't take the cat off the b-pipe unless you really need to. If it hasn't been apart recently, you'll probably snap a bolt or two off the cat and they are no fun to drill out. You can pick up the manifold to cat gasket at most auto parts stores.

Unless the header came with it, get a new set of spring bolts for between the manifold and the cat too. The original ones have the nut welded to the manifold, the replacement kit comes with new nuts.

Rich-PMS

I would NOT use the cheap gaskets provided with the header. Go to Honda and buy a donut gasket, springbolt kit, and manifold gasket.

Cman46290

aight. i got a couple extra springbolts... so ill use those... and get a donut gasket from honda.... thanks~

Cman46290

The current one may be good, but it's a fairly cheap part and you already have it apart.
Yeeah... i just looked on acuraoemparts.... pulled up the exhaust pipe... its just a flat exhaust flex gasket that goes between the header and cat... so ill see how the one is thats already there.... if its bad ill buy a new one.... im happy its not a donut gasket... sometimes those are a bitch chiseling the old one out...

mjones73

It's a donut, I had to replace mine about a month ago on my GSR. In my case it was completely missing. Flat on the manifold side, angled on the other side so the cat can move.

Last edited: