Rack and pinion, axle, ball joint

Jose_E

I broke my lower control arm& i replaced it& now the mechanic said my ball joint needa replacing too. Everytime i drive and change gears or hit the breaks or turn hard, i hear a clicking noise from under my car& my friend said it can be my rack and pinion. It's not leaking just making a ding noise, so I think iay have cracked it as well when i broke my lower arm.. Any suggestions on what it might be also?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
How did you manage to break a lower control arm?
The ball joint should have been replaced with the LCA.
In fact, I probably would've gone through and replaced most of the suspension on that side.
I doubt that the clicking noise is from the rack and pinion, possibly from the tie rod end though.

First thing is to carefully inspect the front subframe and unibody for anything that could be bent. If an LCA is broken there is a pretty good chance that there is some more damage to the car.
If all is good then I would replace all the bushings on the LCA, lower ball joint, tie rod end, and the CV axle.

I would also inspect the spring and strut very carefully to see if anything is bent or not in the correct position. Look on the upper metal shaft of the strut (inside the spring) for scoring.

The damage and possible cause of the sound may be very hard to trace and could take a lot of time to track down and fix.

Jose_E

How did you manage to break a lower control arm?
The ball joint should have been replaced with the LCA.
In fact, I probably would've gone through and replaced most of the suspension on that side.
I doubt that the clicking noise is from the rack and pinion, possibly from the tie rod end though.

First thing is to carefully inspect the front subframe and unibody for anything that could be bent. If an LCA is broken there is a pretty good chance that there is some more damage to the car.
If all is good then I would replace all the bushings on the LCA, lower ball joint, tie rod end, and the CV axle.

I would also inspect the spring and strut very carefully to see if anything is bent or not in the correct position. Look on the upper metal shaft of the strut (inside the spring) for scoring.

The damage and possible cause of the sound may be very hard to trace and could take a lot of time to track down and fix.
Thanks but I fixed the sound and everything works fine untill i drive the car past 60mph i still need to fix the axle so im hoping that's the problem

uso_Dc

Sometimes people overlook the simple stuff. Check tire balance and make sure the tie rod ends don't have play