Radiator Issue

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Alright, (sorry for the essay) so for the past couple days (about a week or two) I have noticed leaking from under the car. So did a little investigating when I was finally about to get under it and determined it was my radiator causing the problem. When I changed my oil 2 weeks ago I filled up my coolant/antifreeze tank where it should be.

Friday, after I figured out it was the radiator I took a look at the reservoir and noticed it was just below the minimum line. Didn't drive the car aside from about 50 miles Saturday and to school and back Monday. After I got home on Monday, I looked the the tank and it was almost completely dry :shock: Anyway, I filled it up again with some stuff I bought that same day and the leaking is still going on. Here's a couple pics to show the culprit.

From underneath the car after sitting for 3 hours since driving, you can kinda see the extent of the leak at its max...

Between the radiator and trans, hose on the left

And it bolts into my transmission here

Is this just a hose i can replace itself, or do i need a whole new radiator setup? What could have caused/is causing this? Thanks in advance for any input!

Ganyon

Maybe there's a pin hole in one of the hoses. Sounds like it's time for a mishimoto rad if it's not a hose.

Ganyon

Idk if this would hurt the car, but maybe you could dye the coolant too a color you can really see, run the car, look at the hose and see if anything is coming out. If not I'm sure the hose is cheaper, so I'd replace it.

mjones73

Automatic trans? If so those lines aren't carrying anti-freeze, they are carrying trans fluid in and out of the cooler built into the radiator. If that's the case the seal where that cooler inside the radiator comes out is leaking, not sure if you can fix it or you're gonna need a new radiator. You might want to check with any local radiator shops to see what they think.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Idk if this would hurt the car, but maybe you could dye the coolant too a color you can really see, run the car, look at the hose and see if anything is coming out. If not I'm sure the hose is cheaper, so I'd replace it.
Hmm, i think it'd cause an issue... But I really hope its just the hose...
Automatic trans? If so those lines aren't carrying anti-freeze, they are carrying trans fluid in and out of the cooler built into the radiator. If that's the case the seal where that cooler inside the radiator comes out is leaking, not sure if you can fix it or you're gonna need a new radiator. You might want to check with any local radiator shops to see what they think.
Yes automatic. that liquid doesnt look like trans fluid, and if it is, where is all of my anti-freeze going? But just check the seal then?

mjones73

There's a auto trans fluid cooler in the radiator.

Kinda like this.

There's seals where that cooler comes through the radiator tank, I'm guessing that's what is shot.

Last edited:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Ah, much more sense haha, thank you. Do does that mean it's an internal issue with the radiator itself?

Last edited:

mjones73

Ah, much more sense haha, thank you. Do does that mean it's an internal issue with the radiator itself?
Basically, yes. I'd try a local radiator shop and see if they think it can be fixed, otherwise you'll probably want to replace it eventually.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
After I got my mishimoto radiator in, A week after, I was way under the min fill line... the problem? hairline crack on a small hose from the engine that I didnt replace..

JOHN HARVEY

YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY ADDING 1 1/2 OUNCES OF BLACK GROUND PEPPER DIRECTLY INTO YOUR RADIATOR. tHE PEPPER SWELLS LIKE A SPNGE AND IS SOFT AND DOES NOT HURT THE WATER PUMP OR CLOG ANYTHING WHILE IT IS WET AND SWELLED. wHEN IT FINDS A LEAK IT ADHEARS TO THE OPENING TO THE OUTSIDE AND HARDENS LIKE CONCRETE AROUND THE LEAKING AREA. iT MAY TAKE ADDING 1 TO 2 GALLONS OF ANTI FREEZE BEFORE IT STOPS DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE LEAK. i HAVE FIXED A LEAKING HEATER CORE IN A cOUPdE vILLE AND A LEAK AT THE TOP OF MY FIAT RADIATOR THAT SHOT 10 FEET IN THE AIR PERMANEBTLY! IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED AFTER THE LEAK IS FIXED EITHER...LIKE OTHER FIX ITS. DO NOY ADD PEPPER TO RESERVOIR ONLY DIECTLY INTO RADIATOR. SYPHON OUT A CUP OR TWO OF ANTI FREEZE IT RADIATOR IS TO THE TOP AND RUN CAR FOR 10 MILES OR MORE TO MIX UP PEPPER WELL. QUICK ROAD FIX ALSO. KEEP PEPPER IN YOUR CAR! LOL ...THIS CAN HELP KEEP CASH IN YOUR POCKET!