Random Dying...So Frustrated!

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Okay, here's a little history from my previous post. My 94 LS teggy keeps randomly dying on me while I'm driving on the road (cranks but wont turnover). First time it died, couple minutes later it started up, 2nd timed it died (can't get it to start) by the time the tow truck got it to the shop it started up (did tune up since its at the shop). 3rd time it died tow truck called again...started by the time it got to the shop. Brought it home and replaced the Main Relay as suggested in here...teggy ran for a week or so and died again stopping at a stop sign coming home (had to push it home). The car sat in the garage for a week (cranks but won't turn). Replaced Ignition Coil as suggested in here 3 days ago. Car started right up. Ran the past two days and 2 hours ago it died on me again (still cranks but won't turn). Tried starting a couple of times but no luck. Before calling the tow truck I gave it one more try and it started. Drove it home and not its sitting in the garage...I'm afraid to drive it now knowing that it might die on me again. Any suggestions, recommendation, what else to troubleshoot or replace? All the suggestions on here have been great that's why I'm coming back for more.

DAmonzt3r

db1 is love
what about the ignition switch my car did the same thing and i replaced so many things but the ignition switch until i checked it and it was burned:shock:

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Where is the switch located...is that the key switch in the steering column Do you have a diagram of it. I'm new to car repairs? So yours keep dying on occasionally too before replacing that?

DAmonzt3r

db1 is love
its under the dash by ur steering wheel and yeah mine used to do the same thing until i replaced the ignition switch i dont have a diagram of it but i can probably find one

lee__xiong

check the TPS(throttle position sensor) behind the throttle body! could be an ecu problem or something electrical! does it throw any CEL(check engine light)? i kinda had the same problem but problem was it didnt throw me any CEL, i replaced about everything u can think of. lastly i changed my engine harness and started up just fine and runs great!

mirrorimg

Well when it dies, try testing it for spark. I had a similar problem and when it happened I never heard the fuel pump turning on. Replaced it and havent had that problem again.

So youre limited pretty much two things. Fuel and Spark. When the car dies, you need to check to see if these things are working.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Okay...So I went out and tried to find and figure the ignition switch part but failed. Not sure if i'm looking at the right part or how to take it apart didn't see any screws that stands out. TPS (throttle position sensor) behind the throttle body? Lee...are you located in MN? If so can we meet up and can you show me where its located (I am Hmong). When it died early on me, I was the only one in the car so I was unable to do the spark test. But I just replaced the Ignition Coil last week when I had no sparks and I did listened to the fuel pump earlier and heard it too earlier. Anywho, this is what I replaced so far trying to troubleshoot the randomly dying. I replaced MAIN RELAY, IGNITION COIL, and just recently replaced the ICM and just for the heck of it about to replace the fuel filter. By the way anyone know or have a picture on how to release fuel pressure and changing out the fuel filter again all this is new to me never done any car repairs before til now.

Last edited:

mjones73

The ignition switch is the part you put your key in to start the car. Remove the plastic housing around the steering column and you'll see it. It's bolted in with breakaway bolts so you won't see any bolt heads. Google for a how to on how to test it and replace it and some how to's should come up.

Hondapwr

have a look at the bottom of your distributor and see if there is any oil dripping out of the case. The internal O rings in the distributor keeping oil from the valvecover out of it will fail over time, leak oil into the dizzy, and get slung around in there coating the electronics. This can cause dying while running, random phantom dying, no starts, sometimes starts, etc...
Hard to rule out fuel without a very expensive pressure test adaptor to hook up to the fillter inline, you can undo the connector to the distributor, crank it a bunch and pull plugs to check for fuel in the cylinder tho, youll smell it.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
I took the dizzy off a couple of time to change out the ignition coil and module and didnt notice any type of moisture in it or around it...dry as it can be. I did smell the spark plugs from the last time it died on me when I did the sparks test and did smell gasoline on the spark plugs...that's not good right? There shouldn't be any gasoline smell on it right ? If this is the case what is wrong and what do I need to look for and fix?

Last edited: