Random Engine Shut-off on 1990 RS Integra

MonsterFrolic

I've been having trouble with my Automatic 1990 Acura Integra RS for the past month or so. While driving it, the engine will randomly shut off, for no apparent reason. I've noticed nothing that indicates why or when this happens. The lights still work, radio and all the electrical stuff works, I can crank the motor and turn it over but it just won't start. Usually after about 10 to 45 minutes I'll be able to start it back up and drive it around and what not. It's happened to me only ever in drive, and it happens at every speed, when I'm idle all the way up to going 65 on the highway. I've taken it to my local Honda dealership twice now and they've replaced the TW sensor and the ignition coil. Even after those two things replaced it still randomly shuts off, and for some reason it seems to have increased after replacing the ignition coil.

I've heard different theories about what's causing this, one of my friends thinks it's my distributor, and I've read it also could be my alternator and my ignition coil module. Any feedback would be appreciated to help me out here, I'm kinda getting tired of being stuck everywhere I go. Thank you!

Twriddles

it could also be the ingition, try wiggling the key around to see if it dies, if it does there is your problem, you can also turn the key backward just a little to keep it from happening, not enough to turn the engine off just until you feel it against something

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sometimes wires come loose on the plugs on top of the distributor. Two big plugs, check them for loose wires.