rattleling noise & Bang

TSPOON

O.k. I have OBX Coilovers on the ride....now on the right front when its a smooth quiet road I can hear this slight rattleing..sounds like my coilover is jiggling around you shaking back and fourth on the strut or something...what hell is going on...did I forget something ?..I have never heard this before and this ain't my first rodeo..lol..

also its only my right front..when i hit a bump or hole..it makea a terrrible BANG!!...like metal on metal...I am going to remove that coilover and strut this sunday as see whats up..any ideas On both these noises ?????:evil::evil:

I bet I left something stupid and simple off when reassembling this coilover on the strut...any idea before I pull it off...anyone wanna guess

mirrorimg

Maybe you didnt tighten the bolt on the tophat that pokes through the strut tower in the engine bay. I would say the bang is from the coilover "bottoming out" and hitting the strut tower, but if the nuts are loose, it gives the struts enough room to bounce around and make contact with the tower. Do you have aftermarket UCA's?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Same exact thing happened to my friend. The coilover sleeve is riding free from the tophat/shock. That bang is your shock bottoming out! You should fix it ASAP or it will cause irreparable damage. Did you use a spring compressor when you put the sleeve on?

TSPOON

sounds very logical ..I will def. check that ..lol..I will be happy and pissed at the same time if its because I did not tighten the nut all the way!!

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
^Therein lies your problem. It probably just came a little unseated from the top hat cuz of that.

TSPOON

lmao...O.K. the rattling noise was coming from that shield that is behind your caliber it was loose and vibrating crazy...
Now the BANG from the Front..I still don't know whats up..going to take it to my Homeboy up at Honda Heaven tomorrow and see if he can figure it out..(well I know he will say what it is right when I tell him..lol)

mirrorimg

Open you hood, and look at the strut towers. Are there dents that look like something pushed up from below?

TSPOON

everything looks fine..I even took it to my friend ..Who owns Honda Heaven..he put it up on the lift and looked at( because I was afriad I may forgot something when i reasembled the strut then we rode in it..and he said it was nothing to be concerned about..which while he was riding it was not acting to bad I was pissed because it was not acting abd......
The next Day...something happened..THERE IS NO REBOUND IN THE FRONT ANYMORE.. I mean every little bump or slight dip there is a BANG!!...I mean it bottoms out everywhere..like the front wheels are tearing up the inside of the wheel well...I won't even drive it anymore..its dangerous....I mean there is no damn way I could have blown out the front struts in like a 2 weeks...ya think? if I did then the problem is the same which are these damn cheap ass coilovers..NEVER AGAIN!!!...so it looks like Imay need new struts up front and looking seriously at Ground Control coilovers...

Man ...when I first put them on everything was great it rode great ...fast forward 2 weeks later and it rides like a nightmare!!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
the bang is from the shock hitting the strut tower. mine does that because im dumped without aftermarket top hats. i need mine to get in...

but your bang i persume is when you hit a bump or a hole right?

TSPOON

yes exactly ...but it is really bad..I mean almost no matter how big or small it is I am pretty going to hear that damn noise..its crazy...what crazy is it did not start out that way ..its progressivly gotten worse over the past couple of weeks ..

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
what shocks are you running? that could be one thing. it does shorten the life of your shocks. i had to stiffen mine up cause of it. tophats would help alot. Gound Control has them but only fro the ground control coilover

TSPOON

man they are the stock shocks..but hell the coilovers have only been on for going on 3 weeks .....do they make after market top hats for factory shocks..or would that be just Dumb so they don't make em..lol..

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
thats why. stock shocks arent strong enough to be lowered. and no stock shocks come with the stock top hat which is about 24mm shorter than the aftermarket top hat.

TSPOON

So you think I blew I the fron shocks already ??...I can sit on my fender and bounce up and down and I can feel and hear the thud !!....
FYi...when I did the install I had to get brand new rear shocks, which are stock also. but they are o.k...should I be expecting them to crap out here pretty soon also ?...

SO bottom line here is my shocks ?... the coilovers may not be that bad after all ..but the stock shocks just can't handle the Drop ?