Rattling noise from engine

McMahon

JackTuned
No I dont have hood pins. The sound is definitely coming from the head.
My CEL is for my O2 sensor, double checked it this morning.
The sound is also happening, but speeds up as you rev.
I'll make a video of it revving with the hood open tomorrow during the day, I'm stuck at work til late tonight.

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
Are there any updates on this? The video is private, so I can't hear if the rattling/squeaking is similar to mine. I just started having this issue the past few days but it became much more severe today. It sounds like it is coming from the head and the noise increases if I rev.

Click here for the video (sorry for the bad audio quality, all I had on me was my phone).

The last oil change I had I switched to synthetic (about 3 months ago) and from what I know this is the firs time this car has had synthetic in it. Is it possible that it might be junk shuffling around in there that is causing the noise?

Jabes

how many miles are on the engine? I've heard that if you switch to synthetic on a higher milage motor that it can cause the junk and oil parts that were holding the engine together to make it start falling apart. It almost sounds like a valve noise like maybe it just needs a valve adjustment or maybe its your rod bearings since synthetic is thinner caused the rod bearings to start falling apart.

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
how many miles are on the engine? I've heard that if you switch to synthetic on a higher milage motor that it can cause the junk and oil parts that were holding the engine together to make it start falling apart. It almost sounds like a valve noise like maybe it just needs a valve adjustment or maybe its your rod bearings since synthetic is thinner caused the rod bearings to start falling apart.
Ah I have over 200k miles. Hmmm I didn't think about that.

Sent from my DROID2

Alvi84

Are there any updates on this? The video is private, so I can't hear if the rattling/squeaking is similar to mine. I just started having this issue the past few days but it became much more severe today. It sounds like it is coming from the head and the noise increases if I rev.

Click here for the video (sorry for the bad audio quality, all I had on me was my phone).

The last oil change I had I switched to synthetic (about 3 months ago) and from what I know this is the firs time this car has had synthetic in it. Is it possible that it might be junk shuffling around in there that is causing the noise?
Sounds like something bouncing around inside the head. My old B18c1 needed the valves adjusted and didn't sound like the sound I heard from your vid.

Jabes

if its not comin from the head then your bottom ends prolly goin out, did you feel any loss in power?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
He has sold this car FYI, so he probs wont answer lol.

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
if its not comin from the head then your bottom ends prolly goin out, did you feel any loss in power?
No loss in power, just the rattling. It really sounds like it's coming from the head (the head is shaking a bit too). I found a shop right across the street from my work owned by a super cool Japanese guy, as soon as I showed him the problem he was thinking it might be the cam gears or possibly a valve adjustment but he's checking it out right now.

I REALLY hope it's not something even worse.

Sent from my DROID2

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
He has sold this car FYI, so he probs wont answer lol.
I can't multi quote from app so double post ftw! Thanks for the FYI lol that's understandable. I'm glad his account lives on in spirit of his revived thread.

Sent from my DROID2

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I had idle issues, misfires and stalls. Currently doing a full headjob, valves on 1 and 4 were bent.

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
Got a call back and he says its the timing belt/water pump. I just got the car in October so I'm not sure when they were last replaced but I'm not sure if that's causing the noise...

Sent from my DROID2

Jabes

could be the timing belt stretched so its slapping against the side covers, if your mechanical theres a diy by prozon on here about how to do the timing belt

MFBATZ

Reddit is fun.
could be the timing belt stretched so its slapping against the side covers, if your mechanical theres a diy by prozon on here about how to do the timing belt
I understand how things work and know what parts to get, but I can't seem to get my hands dirty and do the work myself lol I've tried, even after reading articles carefully and I still end up confused.

MoRBiDThOuGhTs

I understand how things work and know what parts to get, but I can't seem to get my hands dirty and do the work myself lol I've tried, even after reading articles carefully and I still end up confused.
reviving an old thread here:
ever find out what the noise was?
my car just starting making the same noise.

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
My car make the same noise now... right after accidentally shifting from 5th to 2and instead of 4th 0_0.

I hope it jumped timing as its only a b18b1 and to my understanding not quite an interference engine.