Re-colouring door panels

Moose_Gumps

So I am slowly going to convert my interior to black (I has the peanut butter colour interior :\)

I was planning on starting with the door frames/panels whatever they are called because I just picked up red door inserts.

Should I spray paint or dye them? I know nothing about dying interior peices so I need advice. And with rattle canning it I heard it can come out bad but if I do it I was going to sand it down good, spray adhesion promotor on it, and do light light coats and see how it turns out.

anyone have suggestions? dont really wanna just buy new panels

edit: sorry just realised I posted this in the DIY section, my bad.

Last edited:

JGvtec

Are you doing the door panels or the insert part? Just have Rich make you some of just black or whatever color you want.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
There are vinyl/interior paints you can use. If you have some cash, swap in the black interior.

BlackInAction

Certified black kid
Don't mean to thread steal But I'm in your same position. And I was wondering, with my tan interior do you guys think I should accent the inside blue and black or just do a full black conversion?

Also I think you should look for others selling there door panels

miloiii123

Don't mean to thread steal But I'm in your same position. And I was wondering, with my tan interior do you guys think I should accent the inside blue and black or just do a full black conversion?

Also I think you should look for others selling there door panels
For a while I had some black inserts in my teg (check the build thread)

I got some fabric and made the door panel inserts black and they looked alright, but I didnt use thick enough fabric and the adhesive started coming through, so make sure you have a backing to the fabric or make sure its thick enough.
But anyways, I think that if you get black door panel insert, black arm rest cover, black floor mats (or black carpet), and even some black seats would be cool.

I understand that everyone thinks the black interior is super cool (So do I), but I also think that if you live somehwere hot, you wouldnt want black interior or want to go through all the trouble of swapping it.

Do what you think is best though (and original)! :D

sssmasss

u can use duplicolor vinyl fabric paint! 7 dollars at auto zone. i painted my car seats and it looks great. the fabric seats are hard but it goes away after awhile. i assume the vinyl panel would be okay. the color looks great. i think u need to clean the panel really good and rub it with rubbing alcohol after a wash before painting it.

Justin_K

The Wizard of Oz
I think you can re-carpet the cloth pieces in the door paneling, i've seen it done with the bride shaded logo, looks wicked!

integra2

Whats up man. I have a RS 95. and it HAD tan interior.
I went to the local junk yard, picked up new center console (black) and other black pieces.
I also bought my dash and steering wheel of a dude for $150.
75 for the dahs and 50 for the wheel.
It took me about 4 months but I just put the dash and wheel on today.
Its totally worht it. I also got the black door panels in from craigslist :D
I ordered red Seude fabric from ebay and waiting for it in the mail.
All in all, i payed about $220.
And i got red ebay floor mats, for $40 so i guess $260. but thats optional.
If u paint it urself, looks lame and peels .
=pc

dlo253

I went to the local junk yard, picked up new center console (black) and other black pieces.
=pc
Ouch.. spendy compared to buying all the SEM stuff to do it on your own.

It only looks lame if you do it lame. If you actually get all the right quality products and prep it properly it will last for years.

rexpepper123

dont use that shitty spray paint!! dont! who ever i got my car from use it on the door panels an it started coming off everywhere an it looked like trash. i got some door panels off craigslist for 50 black ones. i used the fabric paint on the seats an it looked great! for like 4 months.

integra2

Ouch.. spendy compared to buying all the SEM stuff to do it on your own.

It only looks lame if you do it lame. If you actually get all the right quality products and prep it properly it will last for years.
ya its kinda pricey. hehe. but i will ssay, the knowledge I learned from putting that dash on and off myself, was worth it. Took me like 8 -10 hours though lol. But now i really understand how all the behind the seen stuff works.
And now i could probably do it again in 1-2 hours

TeggyLeo

Teggy Newbie
I painted my headliner black. Used to be gray. I used vinyl paint and primer. 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black vinyl paint and it came out good. Just gotta figure out how to take the sunroof cover off and paint that black. I'm going for black and gray. The handles and visors are still gray and the rubber lining around the sunroof is gray.

Those are the best pics I have for it. And I know I have to clean that damn dome light lens lol.

pinkley

b@115D33p
=pc

look at my build thread... vvvv

^this^

dont use that shitty spray paint!! dont! who ever i got my car from use it on the door panels an it started coming off everywhere an it looked like trash. i got some door panels off craigslist for 50 black ones. i used the fabric paint on the seats an it looked great! for like 4 months.
I painted all my interior with the fabric/vinyl spray well over a year ago and to this day I have yet to have it peel or chip.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=69137