rear right speed sensor replacement

integrasp

Pulled the abs code because the abs light was coming on; 4-4 indicated that the right rear speed sensor may be malfunctioning.

The question I have is: is the the rear right speed sensor (I have '96 3-door GS-R) very involved? That is, is this something that a non-expert can competently replace without having to take apart a chunk of the rear assembly?

My skill level is very limited: I got interested in DIY because of the high cost getting repairs done at the dealer. I have successfully replaced spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. I also replaced the antenna mast which broke but it was much more involved than expected. Because the retractor plastic string broke, I had to take out the antenna motor, disassemble part of it, and put it back. The part cost $12 on ebay but accessing the antenna motor required taking out a side panel in the trunk.

For the right rear speed sensor replacement I want to get some sense of how big a job it is and whether I can handle it.

Thanks.

Target

Acura Tech
if your interesed in diy you should get a manual, it will give you lots of info, now let me try to explain this to you. if you look at the right rear you will see a the sensor on the knukle held on with 10mm bolts, there will also be a few 10mm bolts that hold on the wire which leads into the interior where you can disconnect it. now the only problem will be getting the sensor out of the knuckle. most times it is frozen in the hole. if this is the case and you try prying it out you break it. but don't fear there's a easy trick you use to remove it. take a drill and make a small pilot hole, then take a self tapping screw and anchor the screw into it. then you can pull on the screw with a pry bar. you may also spray it with pb blaster a couple days in a row before you plan a removing it. when you get it out you will then need to sand oall the rust out of the hole with either a dremel or sand paper etc. hope this helped

integrasp

Thanks for the info. I did get the Haynes integra manual but the break section does not have anything on replacing speed sensors outside of reading/decoding abs codes.

if your interesed in diy you should get a manual, it will give you lots of info, now let me try to explain this to you. if you look at the right rear you will see a the sensor on the knukle held on with 10mm bolts, there will also be a few 10mm bolts that hold on the wire which leads into the interior where you can disconnect it. now the only problem will be getting the sensor out of the knuckle. most times it is frozen in the hole. if this is the case and you try prying it out you break it. but don't fear there's a easy trick you use to remove it. take a drill and make a small pilot hole, then take a self tapping screw and anchor the screw into it. then you can pull on the screw with a pry bar. you may also spray it with pb blaster a couple days in a row before you plan a removing it. when you get it out you will then need to sand oall the rust out of the hole with either a dremel or sand paper etc. hope this helped