Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

97GSRVTEC

I have searched and searched and couldn't find any info on this. Hopefully someone can help here. Is there a write up or how to on replacing the rear trailing arm bushings, I noticed mine were torn pretty bad. I want to know if they are a royal pain in the ass because they seem like they would be. Thanks.

Rich-PMS

Just time consuming.

You can burn out the bushing, sawzall the metal retainer ring, and pull it out. Then put energy suspension ones. You just need a good vise.

72Spitfire

Remove the arm. Get a blow torch and burn the rubber inside. While its burning take a large screwdriver and wedge inside it and twist. Most of the old bushing will come out this way. Clean out rest of old bushing to a shiny finish. Insert new Energy Suspension bushing with plenty of lube. (Get a long bolt and shim it with washers, use this as a vice to press it it.They slide right in.

bjanosz62391

remove the trailing arm...send it to a machine shop or your local mom and pops auto store and have them press it out and back in

sleepybrown

Man i just replaced mine bout a month ago. Its a bitch to do. To do it if you got abs youll need to disconnet the abs and ebrake lines. If you got ABS theres a little box on the back of the rotor that the ABS line goes into. That messed me up for a second cause i didnt see it. Then undo the brake calipers and that shit.Then unbolt the trailing arm support the u/lca and remove the whole arm and wheel hub off. I used a flathead screwdriver and a blade to remove the old bushing. But heard you can burn the bushing out and then bang the metal ring out and remove the excess. Then its press the bushings in and reassemble

72Spitfire

Best way to remove the metal ring on the outside is to take a hack saw blade and cut it in two opposite parts, then pop it out with a screwdriver and hammer. Or, you can take it to have it pressed out, which will cost maybe $30.00 for both.

j13

Keep It Clean
remove the trailing arm...send it to a machine shop or your local mom and pops auto store and have them press it out and back in
This^^

I don't know your skill level when it comes to repairing vehicles, but If you're a noob, for your own saftey have someone do the job. You'll have a hard time pressing that bushing in. Me myself wouldn't attempt this as a DIY.

97GSRVTEC

No definitly not a noob when it comes to repairing vehicles. Ive worked at a subaru dealer and if i am correct i think it is the same type of bushing as their front control arm bushings. I dont know, only thing is having the right tools to do it. Ive never tackled any bushings or anything like this on the integra.

sleepybrown

The right tools are a 10,12,17mm socket with wrenches. Shit to get the old bushings out. If you got a press then you can push the bushings in. We got and tap the bushing in to start it. Took it to the press and put a 4x4 on top and pressed it down. Just make sure when pressing it that the bushing is leveled. It's not hard to do if you know something about it. Took me 4 hours to do cause i'd never done it and never really messed with suspension and shit like that before

Gururu

mechanic quoted me 400 for both. I bought the Schley xtractor and did it myself at an army base garage. When I was installing the 2nd new bushing, one of the xtractor arms cracked. I hammered the second one in without further problem.

When using the tool to install, it is difficult to keept he bushing aligned, it very easily goes in crooked. When using the tool to remove, its extremely difficult to push out old, lodged in bushings. You will need large tools for the torque. THe bushing shoots out with a tremendous amount of force. Schley sent me a brand new xtractor when I sent them the broken one. I am selling it for 100 including shipping. email me at gururu@hotmail.com if interested.