REbound after a stolen GSR

navysailor956

CI, Whats's good!!!?!

It's been a while since I have posted on the forums. Largely due to the fact that my previous 92 GSR was stolen from outside my house In Chicago back in '11. But now, I have a new teggy! A 1999 GSR! This is where I'll be posting the progress on it. My build thread.
Some pics before I tell you what's up

Nice right?! :)
So here's the scoop. I bought the car about 3 months ago. I paid 2900 for it, which I think is a good price for the condition it was in. The car needed (still does) some paint but it runs great, pulls hard, its a solid engine and the odometer reads 130,000.
Since buying it, I have had to change the oil pan, because quickly found out that i was using up a lot of oil. The reason was beacuse the oil pan only had like 6 or 7 of the oil pan bolts so it was leaking pretty bad. It was a mess down there that took me a while to clean. I replaced the gasket and all the missing bolts and now she doesnt leak oil anymore :) I've also changed the fuel filter, cleaned the engine bay because it was dusty as hell!, air filter and oill.
Now to the Negatives

Even though I fixed the oil pan leak, the engine still uses a lot of oil. When i first had the car, initially it would let out alot of white smoke from the exhaust in the morning. Which makes me think its caused by worn valve seals. Now it doesnt do it as much in the mornings anymore, but I can still smell the burning oil smell and see some smoke.Plus, that oil leak in the picture is from the exhaust manifold right side (if looking at the front end), i think thats also indicative of oil in the combustion chamber?? or could it be coming from somewhere else??
I have noticed a little loss in power since when i first bought it. But I think that the reason behind that is because, when I replaced the oil pan, i had to remove the bottom piece of the header and when i tried to bolt it back on, the nuts where messed up and i could only get one of them tight, the other somewhat tight and the last one is missing. SO theres' a pretty bad exhaust leak there which I think is why I sense a lag in acceleration. And well also the possible worn valve seals.

Well that's what i have for now CI. I'll keep yall posted on the progress. Ill be back in a lil while with some more.

OneFastGSR

That's a nice stock GSR. Little bit of work and it'll be a great looking car too. Are those optional sideskirts oem??

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Not a bad price...just needs a little TLC

navysailor956

That's a nice stock GSR. Little bit of work and it'll be a great looking car too. Are those optional sideskirts oem??
Thanks man. IDK, are they? Now that you pointed them out, I don't think they are OEM, and now I dont like them too much.. I can take them off, but then there's holes that would need covering up.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
you sir do have the OEM optional lip kit. id call that a come-up.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

jjbarosjr

Hello navysailor. If your car is still burning oil then it probably would be a good idea to replace the valve seals and the piston rings. I would recommend that you bring the head to an automotive machine shop and have them replace the seals. I do not recomend that you try to replace the seals yourself because they have to be reamed on an angle correctly or they will leak oil and you will right back where you started. Also, as far as your headers, toss the oem ones and replace them with a new set from egay. DC sports makes a nice set.

Last edited: