rebuild cost

INtegraaa

hi guys havent been on here in quite a while. i have some questions about a rebuild. i have a 94 teg b18b1 with about 280xxx miles. the motor burns oil and is starting to hesitate and always has a rough idle even after warming up. my coolant reserve is constantly low as well. im wondering what the average cost of a rebuild on this motor is and if it would be better to just get another ls motor. thanks in advance.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Can you do the work yourself? Or do you mean for a shop? I am assuming shop. Call around man, it varies a LOT by region. Call some shops and you'll get your answer.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
If you do it yourself, ~$800 for a decent rebuild

Prozon

Kris
$700-800 for the motor to be rebuilt itself completely. That is assuming you can handle pulling it out and bolting a few things together.

You can also find low mileage "JDM" motors for like $500-800. Then you just need to worry about installation.

chr2303

$700-800 for the motor to be rebuilt itself completely. That is assuming you can handle pulling it out and bolting a few things together.

You can also find low mileage "JDM" motors for like $500-800. Then you just need to worry about installation.
Just did an in car rebuild on mine. Spent 100 on rebuild kit and had to replace some valves and put new rings on. roughly cost $400 after head work.

dekaf

pǝʇuɐɹb ɹoɟ buıɥʇou ǝʞɐʇ
If you go to a shop, do it now. Prices depend a lot on seasons, winter time their prices are cheaper.

dlo253

Shit I rebuilt my whole ls for like 250-300. Guess it helps to have good ass part connections? Hahaha damn.

Prozon

Kris
Connections help. I tend to price a little higher when giving people numbers though, that way it's more realistic that the cost will actually equal what it will cost them.

My rebuild:
$140 Full gasket kit.
$45 Machined rods / installed pistons onto rods.
$0 Honed it at my shop.
$0 Kept my valves. (Kit came with new valve seals though.
$50 Piston rings
$50 Bearings
$0 Oil pump was in spec, I assumed it was replaced prior to rebuild.
$50 Head pressure checked and machined.
$50 Tires mounted/dismounted and block machined. (A friend of a friend.)
$0 Assembled myself.

Bought the parts from RockAuto.com.. everything runs good.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
$100 ACL race bearings
$50 gasket kit
$300 ARP head, Main, Rod and balancer
250 machine work
i honed the block
$40 for piston to be put on rods
$40 rings
i ported it
i put it together

dlo253

Connections help. I tend to price a little higher when giving people numbers though, that way it's more realistic that the cost will actually equal what it will cost them.
Yeah, very true. Not only do a lot of people pay retail, they also have to pay for the work. Haha.