Rebuilding my first motor and got questions

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
So i'm rebuilding my ls motor to stock (factory) spec. Im using a 96 ls block with a 00 ls head. Parts im considering to get are

> cam oil plug
> cam oil seals x2
> valve seals
> timing belt tensioner, spring and bolt
> water pump
> oil pump, gasket and o-ring
> piston rings std. x4
> rear oil seal
> Main bearings x10
> Rod bearings x8
> head, valve cover, oil pan, intake manifold gaskets

I have a timing belt with only 1,000 miles on it so i'm going re-use that one.

My questions are

> Do i need to replace the water pump? Do they usually go bad? And how could you check? I heard the only thing that goes bad with them is the gasket. Is that true?

> When selecting for bearing clearances...how do i go about that?
i see some colors on the sides of the bearings. all i have is a micrometer that i used to measure the crank journals (rod and main) and all are within spec.

main bearing journal diameter... spec is 2.1644 - 2.1654 in. actual is 2.1645 in. all of them
rod bearing journal diameter ... spec is 1.7707 - 1.7717 in. actual is 1.7710 in. all of them

So if the journals on the crank are within spec, does that mean i need to order the same color codes i got on now? or do i still need to measure the inner diameter with a t-gauge? which i dont have. if so, do i measure with the bearings on or off?

> anything else i should change while doing this semi rebuild?

any imput is appreciated..thanks...mario

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
If your journals and crank are in spec then get the same color codes. Unless you spun a bearing then your journals will be fine. I'd reccomend getting your crank polished at a machine shop.

I would reccomend replacing the water pump, it's alot easier to change with the engine out.

Why are you rebuilding it? Did something fail or is it just due to high miles?

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
I had a head gasket leak. when i took it apart it looked like shit. cylinder walls where scored and had heat marks on them. so i just decided to rebuild all seals, bearing, gaskets, pumps.

Prozon

Kris
I suggest ordering a complete gasket kit instead of the individual things. It should come with all the seals and gaskets you need. Replace the water pump.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
too late now... i got head gasket, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket already. but reason i asked bout the water pump is because the i heard the things that go wrong with it are the gasket or the bearing... the bearing seems fine. when i turn it by hand it doesnt make noise or seem tight or loose in anyway.

But my main concern are the main and rod bearings.

Prozon

Kris
I'd go off what Tyler says. I can't help you there, I had my machine shop order the bearings. :)

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
k thanks for your imputs. i guess i will be replacing the water pump now. anyone know the cost of micropolishing?

mirrorimg

You have scoring in the cylinder walls. How deep are they? You may not be able to hone them out and will require an over bore. If that's the case, you will need new pistons and oversized rings.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
im using a different block. not the one with the head gasket problem. this block is in good shape. i am going to hone the cylinders. my only concerns was about the water pump and the bearing selection.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
oh ok, well just replace the waterpump, its not just the seal that kills them, they get corroded and lock up.

as for bearings go by the color codes on the new block, should be stamped some where. i used aftermarked bearings so i didn't have to mess with colors and letters.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
even if the crank is in spec. should i get it micropolished? how much material does micropolishing takes off? i dont want to do it and my crank gets under spec.

Prozon

Kris
You have scoring in the cylinder walls. How deep are they? You may not be able to hone them out and will require an over bore. If that's the case, you will need new pistons and oversized rings.
So you should just buy my 83mm Arias Forged pistons. ;)

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
i dont have any scoring on these cylinder walls. its a different block. as far as bearings go. should i get it micropolished and then do the clearance check to find out which ones i need. cause the crank is good and up to spec. but if micropolishing takes away material then i would need some thicker bearings right? so should i just wait until i get the crank back to order the bearings? i already order everything else including the water pump. everything from honda

Prozon

Kris
I would suggest you let the machine shop order the bearings. That way if there's a problem you can blame them. :)