Recharging A/C from high side port?

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
Yes I know you are supposed to use the low side port, but here's the situation. So a few weeks ago, I had my system retrofitted and recharged. I noticed that the mechanic who did the retrofit placed the high side r134a fitting on the r12 low side valve and the r134a low side fitting on the r12 high side valve. So I guess the guy did that because that's the only way the fittings would screw on, but now I have to recharge my car's a/c through the high side port. Will that damage anything? I just recharged it today because the air was getting a little warm.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You cannot fully charge the system without the compressor running. With the compressor running the high side pressure exceeds the pressure in the can. People have had the bottles blow up in their face from charging the high side.

Mike61096

You cannot fully charge the system without the compressor running. With the compressor running the high side pressure exceeds the pressure in the can. People have had the bottles blow up in their face from charging the high side.
Luck was in my favor then...but what's the deal with the fittings being on the wrong ports then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a DA, isn't the low side port is next to the battery and the high side port is in between the engine and radiator right in front of you when you pop the hood

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I dont remember how it is setup on the DA. Go over to http://www.hondahookup.com and get the factory service manual. There is an entire chapter about the A/C system.

Go buy an A/C gauge manifold from HarborFreight, Youll be able to tell right away which side is which. Plus you need it to do a full recharge anyways.

Mike61096

I dont remember how it is setup on the DA. Go over to http://www.hondahookup.com and get the factory service manual. There is an entire chapter about the A/C system.

Go buy an A/C gauge manifold from HarborFreight, Youll be able to tell right away which side is which. Plus you need it to do a full recharge anyways.
I read the manual on there, I think I just had the ports mixed up. I must've recharged using the low side port otherwise what you said with the can probably wouldve happened. I tested using manifold gauges and the pressures were good so.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: