Relatively Cheap Way to Paint Car DIY?

AlphaWolf1993

What is the all around best DIY paint technique? I figure it's probably to buy a paint gun correct? I want a clean paint job that cost under $400, but isn't Maaco bad...any and all information/input is both welcome and appreciated.

AlphaWolf1993

but rattle can look ok but doesn't feel right, all the can clear I use blows and fogs up the gloss paint. Is there a "technique" I'm missing? I tried sanding primer with 800 grit and spraying black gloss over that, 2 layers, and it looked great, after clear coating (krylon clear), it dulled the paint. I've read to sad the clear with 1000 grit and polish with Meguire's Ultimate Wax, but it still doesn't look good...maybe I just need a buffer to polish it rather than by hand, but I digress.

Second problem: Underneath the primer that currently covers the car, there is old paint that has chipped/flaked off which left the surface wavy or distorted. What is the best solution to fixing this? Should I just sand straight through the primer and down the crap paint and sand that even, or should I sand through the primer and bond-o over the shitty paint? I figure use 120 grit and just rip through the primer, 180 or 400 to even the old paint, primer and paint, correct?

Please excuse the excessive typing, I just like to be thorough...

Cripton805

Maaco isnt that bad, just hand wash your car and wax every month and youre fine. I had a Macco job before and they actually did a great job. They also have a warranty if they do the prep work. It all comes down to the person who paints the car and if they prep it right. I've seen 3k paint flake in a year. I've see $400 paint flake in a year. My Macco paint looked great 2+ years I owned the car. I just took care of it.

j13

Keep It Clean
a good enough compressor will cost you around $400,

automotive paint+clear+primer would be around $900

a good enough gun set will be around $100.

krylon sucks. perfect match rattle can and rustOleum clear is what I use for my car. after a cut and buff, it looks, feels original.

AlphaWolf1993

Now that ^ sounds like a plan. Thank you for reinforcing my thought that the Krylon clear was just bad, I will definitely save this post for next weekend!

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
No money to put towards a qualiy paint job? Cover car with shit because that's what the paint will turn to if don't buy quality.

I'm gonna make a meme for that.

fibe1s

try using montana spray paint its a high pigment paint .i use to use it when i did graffiti its nice and thick and has alot of colors. but its like 5 to 8 dollars a can

treeafodo

Austin
I've heard good things about www.paintforcars.com and have seen some good results from their product in person.And I'm thinking about getting it for my car. But as for any paint job. The more prep that was put into it the more results that come out.

treeafodo

Austin
Oh. And I was watching YouTube videos today about the whole thing. There's some really good painting techniques on there.

Haxto

Rattle Can

I had some real bad oxidation, fade spots on my Silver '99 roof. I recently pulled off the front plastic nose and repaired the lower lip and painted just the lower part black, rattle can. (see the post) It came out dam good. I was pleased enough to tackle the roof this week. I fully believe its all in the prep work. I spent lots of hours watchin "how to" utube vids, most are a waste of time, but good technics are worth the time when you find them. I sanded down the roof with 500 (wet sanded) bondo in a dent (sand to metal for that and primer then wet sand) Make sure to sand off clear coat (or buy the s*** to wipe it off) Soap and water wash before paint!
TIP! I did get some little spots, didn't show till later, figured it out, the bucket I used for soapy water I didn't clean REAL well and transferred some grease. Learn good painting technics, shake that s*** well, go light on first coat, (to avoid running) then heavier on second , even heavier on third. Follow "time between coats" directions. My roof looks WAY better than before, even with some small spots that you have to look close to see. (I may wet sand it down and hit it once more)
Wait two weeks before trying to blend it with rubbing compound, the paint needs to harden before trying that. Then you can wax.
I'm holding out on the wax, my car's stored in a garage, until I'm through painting everything I'm gonna paint. And the things I'm gonna paint keep growing with the positive outcomes. My hood has dents in the center, previous owner run it under someone, not serious but...needs to be bondo filled and painted. Planning a scheme for that that'll incorporate damage areas.
After paint, I have a can of expensive clear coat I never used for my bike and I'll lay that on.
A word of advice!!! Realize what you've got and don't expect it will last as long as a $3,000 job, don't take it to a car wash and blast it with that high pressure, don't let your Homie sit on it with his pipe in his pocket etc. Thats why I don't want to wax it, the wax remover I would have to use before clear coat might just take off my paint and wax. Sorry but for some reason it says I may not post attachments