Relieving fuel pressure

SleeprLegend

Do I have to unplug the fuel pump to relieve the pressure in the fuel injection system? I figure that I can pull the fuse and run the engine dry without removing the back seat and still get the fuel pressure relieved from the system. Is this possible?

ryukkid

beep beep
if you take out the fuse the engine wont start..I thought it was just taking off the gas cap ?

SleeprLegend

if you take out the fuse the engine wont start..I thought it was just taking off the gas cap ?
With previous Honda products I have pulled the fuel pump fuse with the engine running. After it stalls I would try to start it for a few seconds. After that the fuel pressure was relieved enough to disconnect the fuel filter. The Haynes says to remove the back seat and disconnect the fuel pump. I don't want to pull the back seat unless I have too.

ryukkid

beep beep
Well it is a honda engine so i don't see a difference

Prozon

Kris
Don't worry about removing the seat or disconnecting the fuel pump unless you're REMOVING the fuel pump. To relieve fuel pressure wrap a rag around the banjo bolt on the fuel filter and unscrew it. The rag will catch any fuel that trickles out.

You don't have to go to such extremes. I don't even put a rag or anything on the fuel lines when I crack them, I just open them up lol.

SleeprLegend

Don't worry about removing the seat or disconnecting the fuel pump unless you're REMOVING the fuel pump. To relieve fuel pressure wrap a rag around the banjo bolt on the fuel filter and unscrew it. The rag will catch any fuel that trickles out.

You don't have to go to such extremes. I don't even put a rag or anything on the fuel lines when I crack them, I just open them up lol.
Thanks.

hidenplanvew

remove gas cap, then crack the bolt... at least your car didnt sit for a couple years so the gas smelled great... dont smoke or spark anything

SleeprLegend

I was going to remove and clean the TB, IACV, and injectors and reinstall with new orings/gaskets tonight, but I had a friend come over and now I am in no shape to do so. Sorry if I was an ass with the Acura/Honda thing. My girl and I had just had a fight before I posted that. I will still remove the fuel pump fuse and let the engine run dry to relieve as much fuel pressure as possible, but it is good to know that I am just being extra cautious.

eiznekeM

This exactly. +Rep.

SleeprLegend

I could not find the fuel pump fuse because the fuse door is gone from my car. The Haynes manual does not have a graphical representation of the fuse block. Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the fuse door? I went ahead and did it with out running the engine dry and almost no fuel came out when I loosened the banjo bolt at the fuel filter.