Removing rev limiter, help asap please!

jdean41

Ok i have a 92 teg, five speed. It has the right ecu in it and it has not been chipped or anything. Is there a way to bypass the rev limiter without chipping it? because for some reason i redline at like 8000. My dad and i think that the ecu has been screwed with because its not idleing right either Help would b appreciated.

mirrorimg

I dont see any reason why you need help asap. This looks like a generic problem with a simple(ish) answer.

Idle is controlled by the IACV and FITV. If these are clogged up, you may experience a roaming idle. Also, an open vacuum line will cause a vacuum leak and can also cause a lumpy idle. There should be an idle adjustment screw that can be moved to move the idle around by allowing more or less air through the throttle body when the plate is closed.

Try searching for
A. How to clean an IACV
B. How to clean an FITV
C. Idle adjustment with the Idle adjuster screw (which can also be found in a typical Haynes manual)

The limiter should be set where it is. Its preventing you from blowing up your motor as it appears you are intent on doing. If you rev beyond the limits of the motor (which is probably stock and has 180k+ miles) you will spin a rod bearing or experience valve float. Your motor will be toast.

jdean41

its not the IACV or fit valve. Already been checked and cleaned, entire vaccum system has been checked and cleaned.
I didnt make the ecu like that, it came like that. I very rarely even take it to 6000. I love my car, i dont want to kill it. Im just trying to make it run as smooth as possible. Im not a dumbass that likes to run my car as hard as it will go. My uncle also seems to think its an ecu issue(hes credible being that he is an ASE master certified technician in every area). I pulled the ecu today and it is the correct ecu, i just have no damn clue why it would redline at 8000 when it is supposed to redline at 7200. My idle is set perfectly, its just rough(fuel issue, im burning really rich which is controlled by the ecu) everything has been checked again and again, fuel pump, injectors, everything.

mirrorimg

OBD1 ECU's aren't very pricey on eBay. You are taking chances on it being in proper working order though.

You could try some junkyards to find a used ECU and test it out, unless you have a friend you can borrow an ECU to try it.

jdean41

Im just going to order a stock one off ebay and c if it works. If it does then i know what the problem is, which im 99% sure thats what the problem is.

emd513

the guy that had it before you probably upped the rev limiter on it. you might want to see about getting in touch with him and see if he had a chipped installed in it. it might look like stock shit but if you have the right ecu all you need is a tuner and he can go and change your settings on that ecu with out changing anything in it. if so it sounds like the guy really didnt know what he was doing in the first place. good luck

jdean41

Yeah the guy didnt. He treated the car like shit. Ive tried getting a hold of him but he wont respond. Im just going to order a stock ecu, because i think it just has a shitty tune. Im ordering a stock one as soon as i get out of my class this morning. The ecu doesnt have any empty sockets, and all the chips in the ecu are the same kind so idk. I guess all i can do is just buy one and hope for the best lol. If that fixes the problem im gonna take it somewhere and have it professionally chipped and tuned.