removing things to replace speaker in a '94.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
i'm planning to install new speakers in the back.. it sounds so crappy.

so here are my questions:
-how do I remove the rear seats in a 1994 gs-r?
-what's the size of the bolt that holds the rear interior panel? the panel that's on your left hand side, the one that you have to remove in order to get to the rear speaker after you remove the seat? for me there's a bolt, i'm guess it's a 10mm, just want to make sure and it's like 5 inches inside the panel(trunk area) for some reason.
-do I need to remove the whole door panel to get to the door speakers? is it hard?
-should I get a pro to do it or should I DIY?

ImElvis

Sup yo'
its some what of a pain usually the size is 6 1/2
Yeah I did some research, 6.5" all around. Also can't find out how to remove the seats cause I don't want to mess up the carpet or end up ripping the seats off the bolt or something.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Rear seat removal

Top sections:
First pull out the black plastic clip from the outsides of each section (it's down where the seat back's swivel from, the clips are there to take up space). You may have to spin the clips around to get at the little "handle" they have on them to pull them out. When the clips are out, you pull the sections outward, slide them to the side away from the center bracket (pass. side section to the left, the driver's side section to the right) to pull them off the studs coming out of the center bracket, then slide the seats the other way to pull the outside bar out of the outside holes.
Bottom section:
There's a 10mm bolt just to the left of center in the back of it. Reach back there with your hand between the upper and lower cushion and you'll feel it. Take that out, then you can pull out the lower section. Lift up the back of the bottom cushion, then lift the front hook thingies out of their slots.

Here's what the center bracket looks like:

Last edited:

ImElvis

Sup yo'
Rear seat removal

Top sections:
First pull out the black plastic clip from the outsides of each section (it's down where the seat back's swivel from, the clips are there to take up space). You may have to spin the clips around to get at the little "handle" they have on them to pull them out. When the clips are out, you pull the sections outward, slide them to the side away from the center bracket (pass. side section to the left, the driver's side section to the right) to pull them off the studs coming out of the center bracket, then slide the seats the other way to pull the outside bar out of the outside holes.
Bottom section:
There's a 10mm bolt just to the left of center in the back of it. Reach back there with your hand between the upper and lower cushion and you'll feel it. Take that out, then you can pull out the lower section. Lift up the back of the bottom cushion, then lift the front hook thingies out of their slots.

Here's what the center bracket looks like:
Daang that sounds really difficult.. I have to split the rear seats? Like separate the top(where you back goes), and the bottom(where your ass goes)? A picture guide would be so awesome lmao

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The back and the bottom already are separate pieces. That's why I gave separate directions how to take each part off.

I don't have any other pics to help you out. It's really not that hard. Top sections, just pull the clips and slide out the sections. Bottom bench, take out the bolt and lift the hinges out of the slots. That's it.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
The back and the bottom already are separate pieces. That's why I gave separate directions how to take each part off.

I don't have any other pics to help you out. It's really not that hard. Top sections, just pull the clips and slide out the sections. Bottom bench, take out the bolt and lift the hinges out of the slots. That's it.
I'll give it a try, thanks TegSox :thumbs up