repainting car. help

mogi1993

i have a 90 4door rs. its an ugly shit brown/tan color. my dad and i are going to repaint it. but what kinda of sand paper do i use? and how much paint do i take of?

dateg88

alright. do i take off all the paint till i see metal then primer, then paint?
Well first of are planning on putting primer on first?? If so id use 180 or youll be sanding for ever. Using this paper is no problem if ur going to primer it. After you primer it get a cheap can of spray paint and spray i real fine mist over the primer then wet sand that with 800 grit. Do this till you remove all of the spray paint t. Doing will ensure that you dont miss any spots and give you a nice surface to put your basecoat on. Next take a cleaning agent (u can find this at nappa) and wipe down your entire car.. next tape it all off agian and take your time nothing looks worse on a freshly painted car then having overspray on all of your moldings!!! Next your first coat of color should be a light coat dont try to cover in the first coat. This will allow the next coats which will be a wetter coat to have something to stick to a lil more so you dont get runs. Next apply 2 good coats of color making sure you over lap a good bit so it stays wet but not to much were you get runs! After the color has dried completely go and spray your clear. This is were alot of people mess up.. make sure you over lap i cant stress this enough if u dont then you will get eats called orange peel and it looks like shit. Put on about 3-4 coats as you will remove about one coat eith wetsanding and buffering it out.

dateg88

***** if you take it down to bare metal youll need to use two different primers!!! The first will be a etching primer that helps everything adhere to the metal. Then ur regular primer, color,then clear

Exige24

Well first of are planning on putting primer on first?? If so id use 180 or youll be sanding for ever. Using this paper is no problem if ur going to primer it. After you primer it get a cheap can of spray paint and spray i real fine mist over the primer then wet sand that with 800 grit. Do this till you remove all of the spray paint t. Doing will ensure that you dont miss any spots and give you a nice surface to put your basecoat on. Next take a cleaning agent (u can find this at nappa) and wipe down your entire car.. next tape it all off agian and take your time nothing looks worse on a freshly painted car then having overspray on all of your moldings!!! Next your first coat of color should be a light coat dont try to cover in the first coat. This will allow the next coats which will be a wetter coat to have something to stick to a lil more so you dont get runs. Next apply 2 good coats of color making sure you over lap a good bit so it stays wet but not to much were you get runs! After the color has dried completely go and spray your clear. This is were alot of people mess up.. make sure you over lap i cant stress this enough if u dont then you will get eats called orange peel and it looks like s***. Put on about 3-4 coats as you will remove about one coat eith wetsanding and buffering it out.
If any overspray happens on the windows a little hand buffing with second stage 3M Perfect-It buffing compound works wonders. Takes out almost all hard water build up too. For years I've tried different stuff to try and get that slight haze that was very fine overspray and 18 years of hard water spots off my windows. Razor blades, Lime Away, whatever. Nothing worked to my standards, which is basically pristine looking windows even in direct sunlight, until I "buffed" them out with that second stage. Stuff's amazing.

93 "SCARLET" DA

hahah backyard painters for sure.lmao
its always best to start fresh (bare metal)
do not use an etch primer it is a single componet primer and only for uncatylized paints(OLDSCHOOL)
epoxy primer is far better and water proof. hit the entire car with a wax and grease remover after washing the car then hit it with an 180g if leaving the factory finish, if not 80g to metal and wax and grease it again, tack it, epoxy primer do two nice coats. body work at this point expoys are a non sanding primer . high biuld after you block out your body work (three nice even coats not to heavy). (do not use any spray can) use GUIDECOAT it will spit sepckles all over then block your car till they are all gone with like 5-600g then epoxy again 1-2 coats..(EPOXY GOES ALONG WAY)... to make it all one colorthen paint and clear 3 coats for both.

things you'll need most of all ....

hvlp spray gun and 60 gallon compressor at the minimum. filter system and respirator.

i advise you look onlinefor your nearest AUTOPAINT STORE!!!
they will walk you thru it far better then me or anyone on here..

many people have their own ways tho as you can see