Replace CV Axle or only the boot?

Prozon

Kris
So my Integra's driver side CV axle has a ripped boot. However, I don't notice any other symptoms of a bad axle.
No clicking.. ect..

Should I just buy the replacement boot and call it a day?
I don't really see the point in replacing a $60 axle if it's good, and I can buy a $10 boot..

Comments?

natt2000

i don't see why yoou couldn't either. just as long as you can find just the boot, and lube it up real well

mirrorimg

Boot. As long as you correct the issue early, before all of the grease escapes and dirt enters the joint, you will be fine.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I personally always replace the axle, just to know its new, after that I'll replace the boot, never know how old or how many times its been rebooted, incorrectly........

Prozon

Kris
It has probably never been rebooted, but the axle seems to be fine. I suppose I can check it out before I buy a boot. I believe autozone sells a reboot kit for $10. I could always just clean it up and boot the new boot on it.

heritage36

If you get a CV boot kit make sure to check what kind of bands for the boot come with it, some are really hard to seal right and you often need special tools for tensioning them depending what style bands they are. I personally always do boots if I still have oem axles because they are way better, but if they are already aftermarket it may not really be worth the trouble unless you are good at doing boot kits.

gs300cky

its easier to do the axle insted of the boot. plus like HG said its better to have a new axle then just a boot.. imo besides its not that expensive

Prozon

Kris
I'm really going part to part on this car. There are things I want to buy for it right now but I just can't afford to.
If I bought a new axle I'd have to wait another two weeks for a paycheck.

What exactly happens when a CV axle goes bad? I've heard of the "clicking" when turning.. but can you actually snap a tire off or something?

I've owned crappy fwd cars in the past and I noticed that doing donuts in reverse almost always tears the boots on the axles, but I haven't seen anything dramatic happen lol.

WAR 178

Premium User
sometimes guys have the whole axle up for sale used for cheap... also in a pair for less than $50
there are guys that have both new for less than $80 near me lol.
I would just replace the whole thing just to make sure all the components are good. It would suck to replace the boot and then some other part of the axle is shot. I had went for like a year with a torn boot...No noise, but I finally got tired of cleaning grease off the rim and the side of my car. g/l with choice

mirrorimg

$10 for a boot is much cheaper than $50 for a new axle. I would gladly save my $40 on my OEM axles than get some reman'd units from autozone.

if an axle goes bad it may snap, but more than likely just break inside of the joint, meaning it wont transfer the circular motion to the tire and spin.

DustinXIX

its really a paint to replace a boot because its really hard to seal the bands as stated before. if it wasnt bad before the tear, and it was recent, and none of the elements got in it, you should be fine with regreasing and booting. but imo id rather spend the 60 at advance auto and get a new one. they have lifetime warranties on em.

Prozon

Kris
Well the axle seems to be in good condition. I'll have to see if the boots come with new bands... or if I need anything special to put the band on. Heck, some bailing wire and zip ties will do the job just fine right? ;)

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
the boot kits will almost always come with bands. they have to be some low profile bands (pipe clamps will not work) i would use the bands that come with the boot (usually they are metal and they can slice your hands like butter if your not careful) if you cant get those bands to work just use long zipties, when your putting the boot on you will feel it settle in a groove when its on all the way

mirrorimg

A ziptie can be used on the smaller end, but you would need a pretty long ziptie to get around the big end. I used the band that came in my boot kit. It was a metal strap that hooked into itself, then had a crimping spot to apply tension to it and pull it tight.

JhonSebastien

818 SoCal
Crap. Both my boots are torn/broken and I have clicking from the right axel. Going to replace both sides as I don't know how long both have been torn :(