Replaced head gasket now car won't start

FredDyA88

So I just recently replaced the head gasket, intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket on my b18a1 so I had to take the head off and unplug a bunch of wires and hoses. When i finished and tried to turn it on to adjust the timng it would not start. It is getting fuel and spark and is turning over just won't fire up. Did I miss something? Someone help me out please!

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Make sure you did the tbelt correctly by making sure cam and crank line up at TDC. Double check all your connectors. If you took the spark plug wires off the distributor make sure they were put back on in the correct order.

FredDyA88

Make sure you did the tbelt correctly by making sure cam and crank line up at TDC. Double check all your connectors. If you took the spark plug wires off the distributor make sure they were put back on in the correct order.
Yeah, I had my stepdad's friend who is a mechanic do that he did it right. I did double check and made sure my wires were in the right order. They are all getting spark, i just don't know why it won't start.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If he did it right then it would start. So check it all again.

dopematic

Double, triple check your Timing belt is installed correctly.

Same with all connections and plugs.

Did you torque down the head in the correct sequence and torque specs?
Also, double check your intake manifold.

Edit** just saw the other post. Yes it should start if it's done correctly. double check all connections

FredDyA88

Yeah the head was torqued down correctly. I'll check the timing belt again tomorrow. Would the timing belt being off by one tooth cause it to not start?

dopematic

Nah, it would still start.

You're positive it's getting fuel? Check your fuses as well

Nick_C78

Now when you say he is a mechanic... Does this mean ASE certified? By ASE, I do mean the one that stands for Ask Someone Else.

I have taken my head off dozens of times and have never had an issue with it not starting. Muchman is right, your timing belt is probably on wrong and it wasn't TDC when it was installed. Which means the TDC sensor in the dizzy isn't allowing it to start. Or you really screwed up on plugging the wires back in.

RS01

Just got done replacing our head gasket and touching up the valves (and a whole host of other things). I spent a lot of time making sure the timing was right with the B18A1. This resulted in the engine firing on the first crank and working very well. Son took it out and said 4th gear was awesome and easily hit 100. That was good to hear but I had to give him the talk to keep it in check. Fel-Pro gasket and ARP headbolts.