replacing alternator

ryukkid

beep beep
so today I started replacing my alternator well just taking it off since I don't have a new one yet.I tried taking it off the bottom by removing the oil filter since i read that is the easy way to do it but no luck then I tried method 2 which is taking off the brake booster and bracket that holds the alternator also moving some hoses around.sure did work tho now just got to buy another alternator :)

ryukkid

beep beep
update took my alternator to get check and it pass so did my battery.any ideas of what the problem might be ?

tim_dc4

where did you take your battery to get tested?
when i took mine to autozone they told me it was good three times then finally tested it
with a volt meter in front of me and realized it was bad

ryukkid

beep beep
I took it to autozone and it pass then to kragen and fail only getting 11.60 volts then took it to another kragen and pass but I'll go tomorrow again and see what they say

crash.1340

Since Kragen (CSK) is now owned by O'Reilly, we all use the same tester, I have no clue why it would be testing differently. Does the car start OK? or does it struggle? You may have a bad ground or the regulator wiring may have a short.

DAWGSwlms22

it may be the battery. in my mustang i had, it was having a problem getting started, so i took the battery to autozone, and o'rilly, and they both told me it was fine. then i tried a battery out of my integra and it started just fine. so i bought a new one and had no more problems. so try another battery first.

ryukkid

beep beep
update so I went to different autozone and kragen again today and it pass again lol.I clean the wires cause they were a bit dirty put back on the car started it and no battery light unplug the battery and car did not turn off.My brother bringing a voltmeter tomorrow and see what reading it gets

clarkgable

You should be able to squeeze the alternator through the space next to the exhaust pipe, after removing the oil filter. This worked on a 1987 Acura Integra.

JGvtec

Try running a new ground from your battery to your alternator. It could be the cord itself. although those seem to never go bad.

mirrorimg

Wait, you unhooked the battery then tried to turn on the car? Thats not going to work. The alternator powers the car AFTER it has been turned on. The battery is needed for that initial start. Once its running, the alternator keeps the battery charged and powers the car. If the Alt isnt working, the battery will drain and the car will eventually die.

oh crap, super old bump. Im pretty sure he more than likely found the problem already, considering this is a 4 month old thread.

ryukkid

beep beep
lol yeah I did I think it was a bad regulator because once my brother brought the voltmeter it read it was good but the next day after the light came back on so I replaced it with another alternator and all is good now

Maurilio

How did exactly did you take you alternator out?? Cause I have the belts off and the alternator loose, just no way of getting it out the car, my problem on my 97' DC4 Teg' was that it would die and wouldnt want to stay on after a while of driving, I already changed the bettery with a new one and checked my fuses but I really pray it's just the alternator and nothing extremely major
(New to this forum)