Reverse starting to stick?

DB7ish

Well, I put in shifter linkage bushings a few months ago. Don't know how old the clutch is, but haven't had any issues with it yet. Exhaust is stock all the way to the muffler, so it shouldn't be hitting. Stock LS tranny, usually shifts good with no issues. But today I was backing out of a spot, and then I went to take it out of reverse and it just wouldn't move at all. It didn't even have the usually play the shifter has while in gear. I didn't want to disengage the clutch because I couldn't back up more and I didn't want to stall, so I turned the car off and then got off and on the clutch again and still it was frozen in reverse. I had to force it out without hitting the clutch. So I started the car and it went from neutral to 1st perfectly. Shifted to 2nd and 3rd with no issues as well. But I go to back into another spot later on, go to put it in neutral and again it sticks a bit. I had to force it in a little but it finally went to neutral, and shifted smoothly into 1st.

So, I don't know too much about transmissions but could it be reverse synchros or time to change the tranny fluid or maybe reverse gear is finally wearing out. Should I take it to a tranny shop to get checked out? How much can this type of thing usually cost? I really don't want to put too much money into this car though, I only paid $1500 for it. How much would a rebuilt LS tranny typically run? Is it hard to swap out?

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
reverse doesnt have a syncro, its a straight cut gear like in a dog box. Thats why it whines. But, a few reasons it couldnt be getting out of reverse are if a bolt with the ball bearing is missing on the outside of the casing, or the shift fork is bent. what linkage did you put in?

DB7ish

Its all stock LS setup. Haven't swapped anything out except for the shifter bushings a few months back.

DB7ish

I have only put about 7k miles on my car since I bought it, but I should do a transmission fluid change. I have a $10 reward car for Pep Boys. So I'll probably pass by and pick up a hand quart fluid pump, and either pass by a GM dealership and get some synchromesh or a Honda dealership and get Honda MTF. Though the dealerships around here suck. The Chevy dealership said they only sell synchromesh in bulk to large retail companies, Pep Boys said they don't have any Honda or GM brand name stuff just Pennzoil and such, and the Honda parts department wasn't too helpful. However the Buick dealership said they have some for about $8 a quart. However, they were asking me about what application it was for, so I guessing theres different types/gens of Synchromesh?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i dont use syncromesh because its a bandaid for jacked up transmissions. You can run amsoil MTF which is equivelant to GM syncromesh. You can just buy honda MTF...not sure why honda wasnt too helpful about that. I use motul, which is seriously the nicest fluid ever but probably way excessivge for what you need.

DB7ish

Really? I thought the most recommended were either Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh.

Well, I called the local Honda dealership again today and was told Honda MTF is $7.28 a quart, so I'll probably pass by after work and pick up 3 quarts. Yeah, I'm really not trying to go overboard. Just want to keep my stock LS running good.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I blended my syncromesh i think, ford has a good trans fluid for the fiesta st that you could use if you have LSD. A lot of track people use motul fluid or redline, or whatever fluid is recommended for their LSD.

enjoytheridedc2

This doesn't sound like a transmission fluid issue, especially since you can get in and out of your primary gears fine. i would suspect a linkage or hydraulics issue. Have you taken a look under the car to check your shift linkage? Maybe a bolt is loose or the shift linkage is binding when throwing it into reverse? Have you checked your clutch fluid reservoir to see if you're low on fluid?

I dont think it needs to go to a transmission shop just yet either. How is your clutch engagement while driving normally?

DB7ish

Is there any way to check if the LS tranny has an LSD without taking it out and checking the diff hole? Do all B18B1 transmissions have LSDs? If so, I would probably rather use the Fiesta ST fluid.

Clutch engagement is good, so is clutch fluid reservoir. I have to get it on a lift this week anyways, so I'll check over the shift linkage bolts. Reverse has actually been working fine since that day, so it would make sense for it to just have been a bolt loose or binding type issue.