Reverse trouble! Help!

Danny_DC4

Hi I have a 98 Integra Ls with about 142,000 original miles and lately I've been having trouble shifting INTO reverse. All my other gears shift fine but when I try to put it in reverse it sometimes locks up. This is my first manual car so I'm not sure if maybe a new clutch is needed or it's an easy fix? It locks up almost as if something is blocking the spot. Sometimes it even stops me short in the shift and if I try to go reverse it grinds. I've also noticed a little slack on the clutch pedal. It has maybe a couple inches before I feel any tension. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks

XjoEnX

This may sound weird but shift it into 2nd or 3rd first and then back to reverse. Let me know if that works.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
yeah. manuals will do that. either shift into another gear first or let it roll a bit to go into reverse.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

Danny_DC4

Yes it seems like thats working. Had me worried for a little there haha. Thanks for the help, but just to clear this up its completely normal right?

treeafodo

Austin
Yes sir, this is normal. It's the way the gears mesh. When it happens just put the car into any other gear like already stated, let the clutch out a little and you should be good for reverse now. :thumbs up

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Most likely something has worn out (Syncros?) thus why it's hard to shirt into reverse. What I usually do is shift into 5th and the pull it back down into reverse. If it feels like it didn't pop in all the way, I release the clutch slowly and I feel it go in completely.
- Aaron