Revving up while warming up?

FMelo718

Hello CI im new to this so sorry if its a re-post although im pretty sure it is. I tried searching but couldn't really find the problem i was having. Plus theres like a million threads on here lol. But anyways its cold up here and when i go to start my car up in the morning it revs up to about 3000 rpm then it drops a lil then it starts revving up and down up and down etc until its warmed up then it drops to 1000 rpm and stays there.. i was never really into cars until i got mine because i figured i'd just take it to a mechanic to get it fixed. but now that im mature enough to understand the concept of money, i would like to make any fixes i can myself and save me from a ton of labor charges for something that can probably be done myself. I've done my research and i think it may be the Fast Idle Thermo Valve but i cant find it to adjust it. Again, im new to cars so im still learning basic termanology (im a SUPER NOOB) lol. But any help or info would be greatly appreciated. I just got the car not too long ago so i just started getting familiar with it. O and i have a 94 LS non-Vtech.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I had an eg coupe that did this, the vaccum line to the brake booster was bad and the idle air control valve needed cleaned

sumfilipinodude

Hmm I have this problem too.. but it only happens to me like this..

At the start of my day, I'll warm it up for about 10 minutes and it'll idle at about 2k, then 1.5k, then finally at about 700 rpm's when it's finally warmed up.
Say I go to my friend's house, and chill there for about 2-3 hours, I go out to start my car, and then it star's reving exactly how you described it, then it settles down to 700 rpm's.

I thought this was normal, but I guess I'll be cleaning my IACV this week

brilla46

mine does this too and i guess i will also be cleaning the iavc always wondered but only does it when its cold outside

nikmars

my freinds truck does this every morning its a toyato tundra its new only 70k miles on it we took it in and they said the engine block was cracked and the right side had pressure built up....they siad they never seen it before and telling us its past the warranty at 75k miles it had 74,829 loll and they said we need turn it in but we were going to the moutains and then they said it was okay your covered we came back a week later but we went over 75k miles and now there saying they wont do it...fml lol

MrG

SGT TEG
I had the same issue after i swaped my intake and throttle body to skunk2. turns out i had to replace my IACV. its located on the right hand side on the back of the intake manifold. trobble shoot and make sure its working right. it need replacement i have two of them available. let me know if you need one.

FMelo718

It doesnt do it all the time tho. when it does it its cold outside. But sometimes it just does a regular warm up even when its cold as hell outside.

cmc94

On that how to it says that if it's a 1996 or newer (I have a 97) it doesn't have those, but I am having the same problem while warming up.