Right cam for my build

jesusfreeke

I am building my b17 N/A and right now I am concentrating my efforts on the head. My question is whether it is a good idea to go a little over kill on my cam now, in comparison to what I have in the bottom end, and not have to upgrade later when I decide to take it up a notch in the future?
My build goal is a fairly stable idle with a power band that would be fitting for a 4-2-1 exhaust header (8-9K rpm redline)
Current and projected mods for build at this point:
Have
daemon chipped ecu with neptune
AEM v2 intake
2.5" stainless full header back straight through exhaust
4-1 header
projected;
cam?? thinking about Brian crower stage 3 or skunk 2 pro series
full head work (port, polish and all that jazz)
dual springs, retainers, valves
adjustable cam gears
pr3 pistons
two layer headgasket
bunch of oem bottom end gaskets seals and bearings
4-2-1 tri y header

jesusfreeke

Well for the first build I will be (roughly) around 10.8-11:1 if my calculations or should i say zeal calculator calculations are correct. The second build will most likely involve a 84mm MID sleeve and CR around 12.5:1

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a stage 1 cam will be fine. Blox A, Skunk2 tuner 1, or a OEM Type R cam

hgocasca

level 77 troll
I used a tuner 1 skunk2 set in my b17 n/a build, I'm more than happy. Higher compression would've been nice.I doubt you'll max out those cams all motor. You'll be boosted before that can happen. Or using alcohol as fuel.

jesusfreeke

a stage 1 cam will be fine. Blox A, Skunk2 tuner 1, or a OEM Type R cam
so with a future build with 84mm large bore high compression forged pistons, fully ported and polished heads, port matched with high flow manifold oversized throttle body, professionally dyno tuned balanced and blue printed engine rotating at 9500 rpm I am going to be fine with a cam that has stock idle and requires only stock head components and is designed for applications that are stock with maybe a header and a cold air intake and maybe even a cool sticker in the window?

jesusfreeke

granted i am no cam expert, as shown by the fact that i am on an internet thread fishing for info instead of reading a book, why do i see so many people and ads saying that tuner cams are for mild builds and stock application with no need of tuning. I am just weary of having to fork over another handfull of cash to upgrade my cam if it is not tapping into the potential of the other mods

jesusfreeke

I used a tuner 1 skunk2 set in my b17 n/a build, I'm more than happy. Higher compression would've been nice.I doubt you'll max out those cams all motor. You'll be boosted before that can happen. Or using alcohol as fuel.
As stated above I am not a cam guru, but i do know that a cam on a boosted engine is not nearly as important as a cam on a N/A application being that if you want more air in the cylinder all you have to do is up the boost a bit

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
so with a future build with 84mm large bore high compression forged pistons, fully ported and polished heads, port matched with high flow manifold oversized throttle body, professionally dyno tuned balanced and blue printed engine rotating at 9500 rpm I am going to be fine with a cam that has stock idle and requires only stock head components and is designed for applications that are stock with maybe a header and a cold air intake and maybe even a cool sticker in the window?
well since you decided to be a smart ass about this:
-you asked for a cam that would be over kill for your build, i would argue a stage 1 is a little overkill on your current build.
-your 84mm high compression build has different characteristics than a 81mm b17 so a different class of cam can be utilized.
-any cam you can you can use to make full power on in your 84mm block will be too big for a b17 and probably wont make much power at all.

So in essence i did answer your question. Skunk2 Pro need compression and displacement to work. Maybe a stage 2 skunk2 cam but thats really pushing the envelope.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
granted i am no cam expert, as shown by the fact that i am on an internet thread fishing for info instead of reading a book, why do i see so many people and ads saying that tuner cams are for mild builds and stock application with no need of tuning. I am just weary of having to fork over another handfull of cash to upgrade my cam if it is not tapping into the potential of the other mods
skunk2 stage 1 is a drop in cam which doesnt require A/F tuning to see gains, it can retain stock vtec engagement and see power being made. Given its not full potential, but because of these characteristics it is a 50 state legal cam, with a CARB EO number, there are other "smog legal" cams which will pass 50 states but they do not have a carb EO

jesusfreeke

Sorry bout being a smart ass, I like to joke around, I didn't mean to come off offensive. I was trying to clarify weather the cam you specified was based on just the current build or if it was for both builds. The fact that you mentioned that the cam required for the second build would not be benificial for the current build answers my question very well as now i have n my mind the idea that I might not get away with a two birds with one stone plan. Again sorry for the confusion, I do appreciate the help

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
no worries, i would honestly either find a ITR or CTR cam or dyno with your stock b17 cams. with bolt ons you will see power gains

jesusfreeke

so that leads me to a new question. Since this car is mostly for show and I do not care about being smog legal as I probably put only 2000 miles on this car a year and I am an avid recycler and hug the occasional tree, what kind of cam would be the most benificial for the current setup of high flow head and components with 11:1 compression and the ability to fully tune?