Ring job at 240K

RS01

When the head gasket blew, one of my friends offered to do a valve job on the head. I told him to not get too radical since I figured the rings couldn't handle it. Turns out he really tricked it out. We've put @500 miles on her and she's burning a quart every 250 miles. So, we are going to drop the pan and pull the pistons and re-ring them. I will also try and hone the cylinders to while the piston is out.

What was interesting when we pulled the head was that there was no ring groove in the cylinders. I thought that was pretty impressive. I still went 0.020 over for the rings though.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
how are you going to a bigger ring without boring the block? and you probably had some issues with the valve seals so they burn oil.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
is it me or is the only way to pull the pistons is with the head off..??

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

smit7277

is it me or is the only way to pull the pistons is with the head off..??

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.
You can pull the pistons out the bottom but you'll need to remove the exhaust and subframe...oil pan, crank rear main, oil pump and voila...pistons pull right out downward. Its a job though, but it can be done.:)

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
So...how are you going to bore and hone it .25"? Metal will get in passages that should be cleaned in a hot tank.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You can pull the pistons out the bottom but you'll need to remove the exhaust and subframe...oil pan, crank rear main, oil pump and voila...pistons pull right out downward. Its a job though, but it can be done.:)
No. The mains are spaced closer together than the cylinder bores meaning you cant get the piston past them. Try again.

UalRamper

HOw do you get the rear main seal out with the tranny attached ? not to mention the crank with the tranny attached ? :???:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Literally sounds like its a million times harder to do it this way than pull the motor, go to a machine shop pay them extra to rush it and then slap everything back together.

ls1adam84

I Speak Smart Ass
How are you going to reinstall the pistons from the bottom? The 4 cylinder engines I have done still require you to use a ring compressor and slide in through the top....

I am curious to see how this will work out, also curious how going extreme on a valve job screwed up your rings? If that's the case any performance mod you have done would have caused an issue.

Someone please let me know if I am completely wrong?

RS01

Well, I had assumed you could do this from the bottom but after reading all the posts above it sounds like its a real bearcat.

It looks like I will be pulling the motor at a later date and installing the extra engine that I have and then work on this engine. Glad I posted here before digging into it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I was actually looking forward to you attempting it. What did your friend do to the valves to make it leak that much oil? If your "rings couldnt handle it" that means you have excessive blowby pushing past your rings.