Rotor removal question

LuckyDay

I searched around and couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

I've got a 95 LS, trying to remove the rotors for replacement. I've got the caliper off and am drilling out the two screws (they've probably been in there for 20 years, no chance they're coming out clean).

I'm wondering what this gray ring is and if it will need removed somehow to get the rotor off. Could just be part of whatever type of rotor they put in, or is it attached to the large bolt in the center of the wheel?

If it does need removed, what is holding it on, the bolt?

Ganyon

The rotor should just slide off. Beat the back of the rotor with a rubber mallet and it should release.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Rust is holding it on. Hit the outside of the rotor with a big hammer and it will come off. (Seriously)

LuckyDay

Cool, I just wanted to make sure the gray ring wasn't something I needed to worry about before I started going at it with a hammer.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That's a hub centric ring, do you have oem rims or aftermarket? Those are usually used in aftermarket wheels where the center bore doesn't match OEM specs. It will come off with the rotor, so you'll need to put it back on or get new ones when you reinstall them.

LuckyDay

That's a hub centric ring, do you have oem rims or aftermarket? Those are usually used in aftermarket wheels where the center bore doesn't match OEM specs. It will come off with the rotor, so you'll need to put it back on or get new ones when you reinstall them.
Yup, have aftermarket rims, I was wondering about whether it was just a a spacer or bumper for the rims, just didn't know if it needed removed. Wheels came with the car when I bought it recently, so hadn't seen these before.

Glad you answered back before I discarded it.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
My wheel spacers get stuck like yours is once in a while, I get them off with a chisel. Just get the tip of the chisel up under the edge of the spacer and give the end of it a whack with a hammer. Or a flathead screwdriver could work too I suppose, they just don't have as sharp an edge as a chisel so it'll be a little tougher to get under the spacer.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Just give the bitches a good smack with a mini sledge if it's going in the trash anyways.

Old worn rotors just eat up new pads anyways. All the rocks and debri that get caught make the surface porous.