Rotors

Afireinside

Are drilled and slotted rotors worth it for a daily driver application! I can get some for about $60 each. Or standard rotors for $13 each. What do you guys think?
Thanks

mjones73

The only thing you'll get out of them on a daily driver is looks, they will offer no benefit to stopping.

Afireinside

cheap no name brand drilled tend to crack
They are quality centric rotors I just get a deal because we are dist. but if there is no point on a daily driver I'll save the coin and buy the $13 ones.
Thanks

Joshmmc

I doubt it'd make a difference in performance on a DD, not like your rotors get all that hot just driving around town or commuting.

Coney

Spacely
people have said that drilled and slotted actually doesnt end up helping due to a loss of surface area. if your not using the brakes hard (aka DD) then you wont really be getting the effect of them being drilled and slotted as they are there to help dissapate heat. If you really want some good rotors i would suggest some nice brembo blanks

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
drilled will help get the air into the brakes cooling them down. The slotted ones clean the breaking surface of the pad allowing for a more clean braking surface. they help on the track, my brembo blanks were smoking after a session at buttonwillow

Coney

Spacely
drilled will help get the air into the brakes cooling them down. The slotted ones clean the breaking surface of the pad allowing for a more clean braking surface. they help on the track, my brembo blanks were smoking after a session at buttonwillow
right but for a car thats DD blanks would hold up just fine

Cman46290

depends on the pads. some pads will warp the rotors
if they get too hot maybe.... but a new pad on a new rotor cant just warp a rotor due to the pad quality... they may wear fast or funny... but unless heated up a lot.. they wont just warp because of the pad...

Another thing ive seen is people not properly installing wheels after a brake job... and when putting the wheel back on... they either dont follow the "Star pattern" installation process.... or they over torque the wheel and warp the rotor before the car is even driven..

and sure enough, customer is back the next week getting the rotors turned...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
depending on the pad it will warp. Hawk hp+ will warp the rotor under daily driving conditions because of the material

Cman46290

depending on the pad it will warp. Hawk hp+ will warp the rotor under daily driving conditions because of the material
One question...

How?

Not trying to get into a highschool debate match here :) ... but being an ASE certified mechanic i would like to hear the technical explanation behind this~

I could see if it were some upgraded friction material that made the rotors heat up to excess... that would cause warpage.... but not just regular braking... or the material itself...

Last edited:

mjones73

They are a high friction pad you wouldn't use for daily driving... I'd assume they risk overheating the rotor because of their compound which could cause warping.

Last edited:

Cman46290

They are a high friction pad you wouldn't use for daily driving... I'd assume they risk overheating the rotor because of their compound which could cause warping.
DING DING.

SO... Heat is the factor... due to friction... not just because of the pad..... the pad just so happens to make a ton of heat because its made for track use... and if yuou dont use that pad with a slotted or drilled rotor... then it will heat up and warp.

But people shouldnt be using those pads on a DD anyways.... on stock rotors.