Rough idle in Drive and stuttering acceleration on my 94 Integra LS with a 1.8.

Dick.froderman

The title lays it out. After car warms up it begins to die when i am idling at a stop light. If iput it in Neutral while waiting it will idle fine (or at least wont die).

I have: replaced plugs, plug wires, rotor, rotat cap, and valve cover gasket (the last because plugs were swimming/covered in oil when i pulled them out).

Problem obviously remains. What should i do next?

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
The title lays it out. After car warms up it begins to die when i am idling at a stop light. If iput it in Neutral while waiting it will idle fine (or at least wont die).

I have: replaced plugs, plug wires, rotor, rotat cap, and valve cover gasket (the last because plugs were swimming/covered in oil when i pulled them out).

Problem obviously remains. What should i do next?
Try cleaning the IACV and FITV and while your there on the intake manifold, clean the throttle body.
After all that set your idle correctly using the factory method and set your ignition timing when your car is warmed up to operating temp

Dick.froderman

Try cleaning the IACV and FITV and while your there on the intake manifold, clean the throttle body.

After all that set your idle correctly using the factory method and set your ignition timing when your car is warmed up to operating temp

What does IACV and FITV break out as? I don't recognize the acronym...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12vrunner

If plugs are covered in oil its the spark plug tube seals. I know on a sohc u have to remove rockers.

Dick.froderman

Ok.... Removed and cleaned the IACV and FITV (yes, i figured out what those letters stood for ). That is an improvement. Doesnt die at stop lights as it once did. Still surges a little when stopped at a stop light and still has a bit of stuttering acceleration when pulling away from a stop light. Also a bit of stuttering acceleration when accelerating to pass someone on highway.

Would a leaky spark plug seal be the cause of this? I have replaced the seals which come with the valve cover gasket. I have not pulled the valves and replaced the lower gaskets.

Dick.froderman

Also wondering if it could be the $42 fuel filter? I am tiring of spending money on potential solutions only to find the problem remain.

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
Ok.... Removed and cleaned the IACV and FITV (yes, i figured out what those letters stood for ). That is an improvement. Doesnt die at stop lights as it once did. Still surges a little when stopped at a stop light and still has a bit of stuttering acceleration when pulling away from a stop light. Also a bit of stuttering acceleration when accelerating to pass someone on highway.

Would a leaky spark plug seal be the cause of this? I have replaced the seals which come with the valve cover gasket. I have not pulled the valves and replaced the lower gaskets.

The surging could be a vacuum leak or possibly you didnt burp the coolant system enough after cleaning the IACV and FITV

Any smell of fuel?
Do you have any stored trouble codes?

Dick.froderman

Burp the coolant system? Don't know what that is so i am sure I didn't do it enough... I'll research that! Thanks

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
I guess next would be to test the TPS and MAP sensors if you have a multi meter.

1. How to test the TPS-
http://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/official-honda-tps-wiring-calibration-thread-2830131/

2. How to service the MAP-
http://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/02/16/dtc-p0108-service-acura-integra-map-sensor/
You can clean the sensor as well if you see any dirt/carbon.

3. Check mechanical timing. Make sure your at TDC, after that set ignition timing.

For the surging- Check for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner conservatively around vacuum hoses etc while the car is running. If the car starts to sputter or die, makes a different noise or rpm change then theres your vacuum leak

Edit- everything I've said is free, Except for the carb cleaner :p
I'd recommend buying a manual, like haynes or chapton

Let us know if you have any questions

Last edited: