Royal Purple Oil

xusake

Im almost done with my Lotus build, so I was checking on which oil to start using beside Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. So the question is has anyone on CI used royal purple oil be for?

Write your comment.
Pros:
Cons:
And other thoughs:

.Cortez

94' LS
i hear about it all the time, some say its like, the best oil ever, others say oil is oil and they just don't get it. I need to drop some good oil in my teggy too, im interested here...

xusake

I think people don't get it because it too high on a budget, but you pay for what you get. But first I want other people comment on this type of oil.

Oil will ALWAYS be a controversial battle between OPINIONS..

Royal Purple is something I will forever stay away from.. I have seen 2 engines and roughly 3 automatic transmissions blow (which appeared to be prematurely) while using Royal Purple.

Coincidence I would like to think so but it stacks the books in royal purples fault in my book.

I don't buy much US spec products (parts, oils, other fluids, filters etc) I stick with proucts I have tested for myself..

As for engine oil I use ELF 5w40 Basestock 5 synthetic oil.

This stuff is made in France (the europeans have such better standards then the US market does) and I have used it in 3 race engines, 4 daily drivers, and most of my team uses it as well.

The other advantage for myself is that I sell the product so I get it at a reduced price.

One thing I learned over the years is that in the USA in order to write "synthetic" on an oil bottle the company ONLY has to put 18% synthetic oil in the bottle and the rest can be non synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 and Castrol are both partakers in this cheating war. I have had test samples of Mobil 1 engine oil sent out.. on a 10w30 engine oil after running the car for 2000 miles the oil sheer was down to a 0w20 and the conclusion was that there was only 21% synthetic polymers in the oil (new out of the bottle). This makes me wonder why it is that I am paying for synthetic oil and only getting snake oil..

I also am a firm believer that if you are looking for the best highest quality oil there is.. u can't buy it at Walmart.

A few oils I would highly recommend

Synthetic:
ELF (in the states though known under the parent name "total")
Nippon

Non synthetic oil:
Mobil clean
Castrol GTX
Valvoline

anything else IMO does not measure up and also seems to be more of a hurt in the pocket for what you are getting.

LitosDA

Royal Purple is good stuff, i ran it in my 80 caprice with a decently built 350, my dad runs it in his 67 camaro and he ran it in his buick electra 225. Also one of my friends uses it his civic. We havent had a problem with and either has my dad. I guess its like they say to each their own.

acclude

cheap bastard
I use it in my built LS/VTEC. I ran one cycle of Royal Purple through for initial startup, changed the ol with some cheaper Mobil1 synth. and it just "sounded noisier" like valve tap or something like that. I drained all of that out and put some Royal Purple back in and the vavletrain noise went away again. The motor has maybe 800-1K miles on it at this point and is on oil change #3 right now with Royal Purple and no issues. The long haul results are still to be seen. I pay the extra money for my piece of mind.

red.line

I've always used Amsoil, providing my car doesn't piss oil from every gasket and seal, otherwise I use the shit that's 2 bucks a litre lol.
Not sure what I'm going to go with when I do the first oil change on my Teg though.

RD408

^ Amsoil :thumbs up
I used royal purple before, didnt notice anything special about it and figured it wasnt worth the $7+ a quart.