Rubbing Compound Questions!

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Im a detailer at CarMax and i have experienced this before and we use a variable speed buffer. Like stated because overspray/re paint. 2cdGS-R is on point about the process do that and youll come out with a mirror shine everytime. Also 3M makes good products for swirl removal. Comes in a blue bottle. Its what we use at work. Just use it with a soft foam pad,we use a 3M black pad. Also that Tech Wax is awesome! IMO. I hate dealing with Hondas/Acuras at work because they have soft paint and its a b**** to rub out the polishes after i apply them. But GL with your detail
i use the same stuff from 3m. I got the white, black, and blue foam pads.

dmcastillo86

Yes those arent swirls lol. From what i know swirls come from buffing with a wool pad and heavy compound. Which i use at work to get out heavy scratches and wetsanding. That would get out those scratches you are seeing in your pictures. I would invest in a makita or dewalt buffer. And yes from what it looks like to me thats orange peel.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Highly likely they were there prior cus you havent had it very long but swirls most often come from how its washed. People using harsh bristle brushes etc. I used to do it too out of convenience but have since turned to hand wash with micro fiber only.
I'm not gonna lie. I use a brush to wash it, but its not hard bristle what-so-ever. It's barely hard enough to get the grime off half the time...Either way it looks like i'm gonna have to pick up a mico fiber mitt.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Yes those arent swirls lol. From what i know swirls come from buffing with a wool pad and heavy compound. Which i use at work to get out heavy scratches and wetsanding. That would get out those scratches you are seeing in your pictures. I would invest in a makita or dewalt buffer. And yes from what it looks like to me thats orange peel.
Now the next silly question:
How does one get rid of orange peel at this point? Seeing as the paint has been on there for a while and whatnot. Or does it not matter?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Most light micro-marring and swirls come from poor washing and drying techniques. I always hand wash my own cars with a sheepskin mitt and grit guard using the two bucket method. The two bucket method is a no brainer to help eliminate the possibility of introducing contaminants into the process. There's just no reason to put a dirty mitt in your clean bucket (which will then end up back on your paint). I also dry my car with air and waffle weave microfiber towels. Also never use circular motions for washing or drying. Those are simple precautions that almost completely eliminates any return of micro-marring for me. Continuing with those precautions, any polishing I do is usually just touch up to problematic areas (esp. front bumpers, side mirrors, etc.). I rarely have to go over my cars completely, and if I do decide to, it's only a light application because I don't screw it up too bad in between.

I also use the meguirs 105 and 205 at the body shop. I use it on my makita buffer. after i use the 205 i use a micro machine polish from 3m. its suppose to help get rid of swirls and what not.. I finish it all off with final inspection spray from meguirs to get all of the oils and stuff off..
I also have Menzerna PO85RD finishing polish and black pads for a final step. But on two of my cars, the M205 finishes down without the nessecity of a third step. So I don't always use it.
Now the next silly question:
How does one get rid of orange peel at this point? Seeing as the paint has been on there for a while and whatnot. Or does it not matter?
You'd have to get off into wetsanding to remove orange peel. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are extrememly committed to it.