Running Hot

travistrouble

So I've been having a problem with my teg for about a week now trying to find the cause before posting a question on here sounding like a noob, but I need help.

My car has been running hot lately, not on the temp gauge but just under the hood it is super hot. I replaced my thermostat, upper radiator hose and clamps, upper and lower radiator housing gasket, radiator cap and heater hose. My temp gauge after the install still reads fine and my car doesn't overheat but I've had friends look at it and they all agree that it's too hot.

It smells like antifreeze too, even when driving you can smell it sometimes.

I've checked all of the hoses I can see for cuts or holes. The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the black circle cap that's plastic where you drain the antifreeze.

I don't have A/C so I never run it and my radiator fan does work.

So I have no idea :???:

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
well if it smells like antifreeze then you have a leak somewhere, park over a piece of cardboard to try and narrow it down. But if your temp gauge isnt reading hot (assuming it's working properly) then you may not have a problem other than your leak.

travistrouble

I'll get some cardboard and do that bro. After everything that's been replaced already, are there any other lines related to the radiator left to leak? I didn't replace the lower hose because it looks pretty decent. They've all got the screw clamps, not the OEM ones that you use pliers with.

I know I shouldn't worry too much about it because it's not overheating but I want to stop the problem before it becomes a larger one.

MrChunkyMonkey

I had a friend whos car did the same thing. But he ignored it, then it started to blow white smoke. they told him that he messed up the head for driving it hot.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
I'll get some cardboard and do that bro. After everything that's been replaced already, are there any other lines related to the radiator left to leak? I didn't replace the lower hose because it looks pretty decent. They've all got the screw clamps, not the OEM ones that you use pliers with.

I know I shouldn't worry too much about it because it's not overheating but I want to stop the problem before it becomes a larger one.
I'd check that 1) your temp. gauge is working correctly; and 2) for leaks again. All it takes is a pin-sized hole for coolant to come out. If you're only smelling it once in a while, that could very well be it. Inspecting your hoses visually often times isn't enough. You have to feel around with your bare hands. Leaving cardboard under the car will only help if it's a decent leak, since the hot weather and heat from car will just make it evaporate if it's a small one.

Your car could be running fine. I'm not sure where you live, but here, it's been hot as hell and that always make a difference under the hood. The coolant smell you're smelling every now and then might just be coolant you spilled while changing your cooling components or topping it off. It happens and for some reason, I've always found that smell to linger.

If you're worried about your car running too hot, make sure your gauge is working properly. That's why it's there. :twocents:

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
If your temp gauge is working correctly, and is reading normally (usually a 1/4 of the way) then your car isn't running "hot". Given the current temperature I'm sure any car is going to feel like it's running hot.

travistrouble

I'm pretty sure the gauge is correct because it does move from cold to just below half way and every hose and clamps except the lower radiator hose. But it has been hot as hell here and at night it feels like it runs better so maybe its just me being paranoid. :lol:

atomic_peach

Could the hot air temperature decrease the volume taken into the engine, thus reducing the amount of gas injected? And wouldn't that cause the engine to seem less effective? Just trying to think from a chemistry/physics standpoint.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That is correct DJ, hot air is less dense so there will almost always be a loss in power when it gets hot out. As for your coolant leaks, you have coolant lines running to your throttle body, heater hoses, and some coming off your thermostat housing. So you should check all those smaller lines as well for leaks.

travistrouble

My reservoir is almost completely full its about half an inch from the top so I'm thinking that maybe there is too much coolant in there? Because whenever I take off the radiator cap and can't see the coolant level I add coolant. Am I doing the right thing or is it possible there is too much?

Also, Aussie, since seeing your Fuelly, I added an app on my phone called Fuel Log and have been tracking my fill ups. I had never seen anything like it and since doing it, it's actually a good thing to do. With 3 fill ups my avg mpg is 21.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
have a pressure test done, also look fo a white film of dried antifreeze, i bet your water pumps going bad. that wouldnt make it super hot though. your timing could be off

travistrouble

Hey Jim, since owning the car for a few months I've replaced a lot but not the water pump so it could very well be that it's going bad. I also haven't had the timing checked and I replaced the TPS sensor but never got it calibrated [fail I know] so I don't know if not having my TPS calibrated could affect anything or not. I'm hoping not :lol:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The tps shouldn't affect anything temperature wise. If your ignition timingis advanced your car will run hotter. It should be around 16* I think.

Keeping track of my fuel has been great, a lot of fun between me and my wife trying to get the better mpg. Funny that she drives the turbo MS3 and gets better milage than my 6.