running hot

95ls-gsr swap

after a bit of driving (30-45 mins) the temp guage starts goin up, i stopped and it was blowing out steam through the coolant resi cap, we checked the coolant and added some...it sat and cooled off for a little while.... it was good until i was almost home when it started doing it again... im thinking the water pump maybe isnt working, so the hot water didnt get pumped through the radiator, and it just started evaporationg off... any thoughts?

joeshmoe

Possibility that your thermostat might be stuck closed. It happened to me before. If it gets hot turn the heater on and it will help it to go back down.

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
Pull your thermostat. If it still runs hot, my next guess would be water pump. When you put coolant in it look and see if you can see any dripping on the ground. If it is dripping look to see if its coming from behind or close to the crank pulley.

skimdrdgk_94teg

im having the same problem!! its the water pump.....it sucks cuz it deals with the timing belt....otherwise i would fix it myself fml!! lol....good luck on fixing it..

boxer951

Waterpump and timing belt job runs around $150-$200 just make sure u seek a mechanic that knows what he's doing if nit your gona end up having todo a valve job.telling you from bad experience.good luck.

dlo253

Holy shit $200? so glad i am handy. Whats a water pump, like $30?! Lol, for an LS anyways.

boxer951

Also have you tried burping your motor?maybe it has air trapped in your coolant.try loosening the little valve nut thats on top of your radiator hose where it connects to the head.if air comes out when you loossen the nut that means you did have trapped air.once water starts coming out retighten the nut.that should help with over heating.btw make sure you all this while the car is running.maybe you knew that already just making sure lol

Last edited:

95ls-gsr swap

i havent tried but the cars already at the mechanic... just bought it so i figured it would be a good idea to have some professionals look around and lemme know whats what