Running Low Boost on Stock internals??

horeks90

My 90 intega just isn't fast enough. I have a b18a and i have heard that if you run low boost at 5 psi or lower that it won't hurt your internals. So i was wondering if this true and how reliable this will be for me?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
didnt need to make two threads on this

but do a compression and leak down test and if the numbers are good you can boost it up to around 8psi on a t3/t4 turbo with a proper tune, like dyno tune with a hondata. Not a chip

IntegraLS-T

^^ great advise above, but I will tell you what I tell most people who come to me and ask this same question..... In reality no matter how you do it, it's not a matter of if it breaks, it's a matter of when. If this is your only car and if it broke it would leave you in a very bad situation, and if you don't have the money or ability to replace things such as head gasket, or pistons, then it might not be a very good idea to do anything. You can put something together and it may never have an issue but most of the time something does eventually happen and it will take time and money to fix it. If you're okay with that then I say go for it, try to use quality parts, buying used is not always bad, and defiantly get a good tuner to tune it. Good luck.

JSH

JDMb20DC2

All motors are different, i've seen stock b20s pull 300hp and some LS pull 250 and blow its all in the TUNE and how much hp not PSI. But make sure you get the correct supporting mods and on a stock motor dont go over 300hp max to be safe and get it tuned RIGHT !

Stopsign32v

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go past 8psi of booooost!!!!! You will blow your motor to pieces!

:lol: I'm kidding...boost has nothing to do with the motor blowing.

horeks90

well i was thinking of getting an ebay turbo kit and running just 5 psi i just want some more power. i dont like havin looks but no speed... and i have no idea where i would get it tuned at in my area... im new to the whole turbo thing, but what im getting is low boost should b ok as long as i get a really good tune for it... how much is tuning??

Stopsign32v

well i was thinking of getting an ebay turbo kit and running just 5 psi i just want some more power. i dont like havin looks but no speed... and i have no idea where i would get it tuned at in my area... im new to the whole turbo thing, but what im getting is low boost should b ok as long as i get a really good tune for it... how much is tuning??
Don't go for the Ebay kits, they will not last long and end up costing you more in the end. Build your own turbo kit, that's what I'm doing. I've got a HY35 turbo that would be good for your build if you do decide that. Let me know if you want to work up a price with shipping. I'm only asking $350 and it's in like new condition.

horeks90

my problem is is that i dont know what i need and where to look. how long was it used for?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
get a horse power goal, then use what ever amount of boost it takes to get to it. too much Boost doesn't kill the motor, too much power does

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

98IntegraNA

Ebay kits are not all bad but don't go for the flash. the kit that i picked up off of my friend was an ebay kit and he got it because it came with "all the bells and whistles" wrong! i spent almost as much as he did on the damn thing just to get parts that would work for it. so my advice to you would be do your research. find a power goal that you want and research kits that will get you there reliably. also ask yourself if you want ac power steering ect. some kits eliminate these. mine for example required me to buy a 92 civic radiator and remove my ac. mine was crap and i live at 8000ft elevation so a/c isnt used but if your in a hot area this may not be an option. Finally get a good tuneing program like a hondata s300 and try and find a local tuner to make it work. personally I have not done this step but i have not pushed my car at all yet and i plan on getting a tune in the next few weeks now that i have the cash.
Also don't cut corners, you will pay way more in the long run. research what parts you will need to completely do the turbo install and make an excel sheet or list out every part and cost of said parts to see if you have a budget that can handle it. also throw in a several hundred for misc crap and trips to your local napa. dont expect to buy a $500 turbo kit on ebay and be done.
oh and so far so good on the ebay turbo. i put 1k miles on it at 6psi with no probs, and just did a 1200mi road trip and pulled 28mpg :-D so they arnt all that bad.
^^^sorry for the wall of text^^^

1sloDC2

Personally I'd never run an ebay kit on my gsr. I would use ebay for parts like intercooler, piping, manifold, couplers and small things, maybe a bov. Wouldn't trust a turbo without rebuilding it or a wastegate that might stick open and cook your motor. Do some reasearch on clearances on ebay turbos. There's a reason why they fail quickly. Get what you pay for.

my 2 cents

hidenplanvew

Speed daddy, taco taco are ALL just junk... I would just part together a kit... You can do a budgit build for around 800 bucks with so fair to good parts. Only thing I would use from Ebay is a CAST Iorn manifold non of that alum foil crap they sell it will last about 2 weeks and crack of blow out. But the intercoolers and piping are ok (make sure to get the Cx racing stuff there pipes are actually thick enuff to use T clamps and boots or to get welded. Look around on Craigslist and find a used Volvo T3 or the old Benz T3 turbos they can be had for around 100 to 150 in good shape and will actually spool pretty quick. Like one of the other guys said 5lbs isnt worth it and when you talk power wise its not good to talk in PSI but HP goal cause like said before 5lbs on a t25 next to 5lbs on a T3 is diffrent because yes they flow 5 lbs both, but they move diffrent amounts of CFM's. Make sure you use a good tune like s300 or neptune RTP cause VAFC are junk really and such a pain, some tunners wont tune with them. Next would to be to find someone who can tune your car and see what kind of tunning software he uses. Next is fuel If your going to run anyware below 220 (I think thats a max) I would just use some DSM 440's that can be had for around 80 bucks. Last Ebay wastegates are junk I dont care if your uncles kids son ran one and it worked for him they are junk and not worth messing up your engine and turbo when they fail! Use turbosmart waste gate and BOV cause there not the best but they get the job done.

Ok this is what I posted in your other thread so here I post it again