Running rich, can you help me?

freb_mc

First off, i hope this is the right area, sorry if i put it in the wrong section.

second my car is a 96 integra sedan,108xxx miles, ls almost stock engine, apexi world sport cat back system, aem intake, short ram not cold air. it has no check engine light, the only malfunction light on is the abs sometimes its on right when you start sometimes it waits till you drive it about a block, anyway whole other issue.

the car runs great, there is no mods that i am aware of to the computer, (if anyone can tell me what to look for so i can double check that i appreciate it) the CEL is not on, it starts very easy, idles a bit fast 1500-1700rpm, runs fantastic, has plenty of power, but it runs very rich, i can smell it, and the exhaust tip is blackened thoroughly, and it gets maybe 20-22 mpg?!?

these are the symptoms, now if it were my old car i would simply adjust the carb. but this is obviously not that way, i thought if it had a rich code it would trigger the CEL, maybe the 02 sensor is faulty but that should trigger the CEL as well correct? no i have heard that if the car thinks the engine is cold it will still run at fast idle or rich to warm the engine, its been hit or miss 50-70 degrees here the last few days and my car has never hit operating temp that i can tell, on the hwy it never warms up, just come maybe a 3rd the way up if it is sitting idle. i assume it has no thermostat and i intend to remedy that soon, (parts store in the middle of BFE didn't have it on hand) i hope that is the issue, but i am unfamiliar with b-series engines.

does anyone have any other suggestions? the car just recently had a tune up, new plugs accel wires and cap and rotor. seems to run and fire fine. i intend to replace the fuel filter soon too. just changed the oil, it is pretty well taken care of. i am kinda stumped if the temp isn't the issue. i love the car but i bought it for a better mpg car, as it is i only gained 2 mpg over my 1963 belair with a 327. kinda disappointed,

anyone seen this before???

btw chime in if you have a clue on the abs light as well.

TheSkygun

Abs, no idea. mine sorta does the same thing

thermostat would be good to make sure is working (or there) for the safety of the engine from over heating, maybe its just the needle not working.

The running rich might be an O2 sensor that isn't working at all. I know my O2 sensor is pretty much dead, getting about 24mpg, and it smells rich when i have the car turned on in its spot when im checking stuff out.

^ though all of this is just my opinion that might be wrong.

PBblaster84

You can also try a valve adjustment. my car had a rich code when i first got it. found that the intake valves where way too tight I get 32 mpg now.

freb_mc

I'll check some of this stuff out. Just weird that it runs so well with no cel. Could o2 sensor be bad and have no codes?

freb_mc

anyone have any other suggestions? i am gonna take a closer look at it this weekend, i need some direction, and what are the valve settings on a b18 anyway? do they adjust the same way as a d-series? i have never been into a b motor.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
B18A
INTAKE: 0.006" - 0.007" (0.15mm - 0.19mm)
EXHAUST: 0.007" - 0.008" (0.17mm - 0.21mm)

B18B
INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

you need a feeler gauge and that nut thing

PBblaster84

specs are usually posted on the inside of your hood. they are on the emissions sticker. now when you make the adjustments you want a very slight drag on the feeler gauge. also make sure when you tighten the nut down it doesn't make the screw too tight sometime you need to compensate on the screw to make the adjustment just right. take your time. replace the valve cover gasket why your in there.

freb_mc

yeah i have set valves before, seems the same as a d-series, and my hood has been replaced and repainted. its a 96 with 01 front clip

freb_mc

also driving home from work this evening the good ol check engine light popped on, stopped by the parts store, borrowed a scan tool. after wasting 20 minutes looking for the obd2 port i finally found it under the passenger side of the dash. scan says: cylinder 1 misfire. i checked my wires, and connections, all good, but the car had a clear cap and rotor on it.i could only see three sparks, cylinder 1 sure enough wasn't firing, replace the cap with a real cap and rotor, cleaned the contact for the coil, and it seems to be much much better!

freb_mc

ok drove it all day, put roughly 300 miles on it no issue what so ever, it ran great, last stretch home, almost 20 miles or so i notice it smelled rich again when i stopped for fuel, thought oh well just came off the hwy, not a big deal, a mile down the road the CEL came back on, again with a cyl 1 misfire. p301 code

if i am thinking correctly, a cyl 1 misfire is specific not a generic code for 1 issue, it shouldn't be the dizzy, the plugs and wires and cap and rotor are all new, that leaves one thing that is cyl specific, the injectors, correct??? i am gonna do the cheap route and run some seafoam injector cleaner through and change the fuel filter, and the plugs again, because they are getting fuel fouled, namely cyl 1,

does this seem logical? the car only has 108k on it, but maybe it sat for a while and gummed up the fuel system???

either way i have a couple of days off and i am gonna hit the maint hard, get a few much needed things done.

if you have any other input feel free to chime in.

also could the abs light being intermittent be the relay? had a buddy from honda say thats a common problem, i worked there for almost four years and never saw it. but i also saw only a handful of acura's

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
ok drove it all day, put roughly 300 miles on it no issue what so ever, it ran great, last stretch home, almost 20 miles or so i notice it smelled rich again when i stopped for fuel, thought oh well just came off the hwy, not a big deal, a mile down the road the CEL came back on, again with a cyl 1 misfire. p301 code

if i am thinking correctly, a cyl 1 misfire is specific not a generic code for 1 issue, it shouldn't be the dizzy, the plugs and wires and cap and rotor are all new, that leaves one thing that is cyl specific, the injectors, correct??? i am gonna do the cheap route and run some seafoam injector cleaner through and change the fuel filter, and the plugs again, because they are getting fuel fouled, namely cyl 1,

does this seem logical? the car only has 108k on it, but maybe it sat for a while and gummed up the fuel system???

either way i have a couple of days off and i am gonna hit the maint hard, get a few much needed things done.

if you have any other input feel free to chime in.

also could the abs light being intermittent be the relay? had a buddy from honda say thats a common problem, i worked there for almost four years and never saw it. but i also saw only a handful of acura's
Sounds like a leaky injector on cylinder #1.Grab a few from the junk yard (there very cheap) and swap it out. I say junkyard cause the autoparts store over charge for them and they very rarely malfunction like that