Rust colored coolant, running hot

osiris19

Tonight, I decided to take my integra out for a little drive around my college's city. I started going up the mountain when I started noticing my temperature gauge rising slowly. It went past half and to 3/4 of the way to hot before I pulled over and popped the hood for further inspection. I found out my coolant in my reservoir is a rusty, orangeish color when it should be bright green. (I believe I had prestone 50/50 in it) my oil was also extremely low on the dipstick. I turned the car back on and drove it straight to autozone to pick up a quart of oil, and the car stopped over heating. It was roughly 58 degrees outside with a cool wind.

I've been reading around and have been getting mixed answers. It's not chocolate colored, more so rust colored. Oil is relatively clean. I'm due for an oil change in about 400 miles. Also have a leaking oil pan gasket, however it's not that bad. I am hoping it is not my had gasket as I do not have the money to pay for what's needed. The car also needs the valves to be adjusted. It's a 96 LS B18B1 with 187,000 miles on engine and transmission. Any help would be much appreciated. I should mention that I am going to school for automotive technology ATM and am currently in a transmission class, but have access to a full shop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ganyon

I think I read somewhere that the radiator causes that. Something about it rusting inside. Not sure though.

osiris19

No, my car is five speed.

Excitable Kid

Probably just old gunk inside your hoses and radiator. Mine was an auto and this was my coolant color

ATF was leaking into the cooling system

osiris19

Took some pictures.

Ran it for ten minutes in the parking lot, normal op

osiris19

Might leak a little. I'm not sure. Radiator is always full.

OLDSKOOLACURA

Also can be early signs of a bhg, but I doubt it.

If this was the legend forum, then I would say yes lol

Posted from my garage

osiris19

Didn't overheat today at all. Stayed perfectly cool. The color of my coolant is actually bright orange and green on top cause I added a little to my reservoir. Not sure why it's orange. I'm gonna drain it and refill it with 50/50

OLDSKOOLACURA

Didn't overheat today at all. Stayed perfectly cool. The color of my coolant is actually bright orange and green on top cause I added a little to my reservoir. Not sure why it's orange. I'm gonna drain it and refill it with 50/50

Its time for a new radiator

Posted from my garage

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
I would change your antifreeze first and foremost. Could just be original coolant that's way overdue for repalcement.

osiris19

Antifreeze is getting changed along with new thermostat either Friday or next week so I'll update after that happens.