Rust Hole In Trunk Any Tips/Ideas(excluding mig weld)

Brett1414

Searching for that 1 swap

So i my plan was to do something to get rid of this stuff back here so i can paint, but ive never welded before(but i can braze?) Should i cut it out with an angle grinder and use like jb weld and sheet metal or will that be a waste of time. I hear bondo cracks and i dont want that so does anyone have any other reccommendation or should i just bite the bullet and pay for a body shop to do it..

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
The best thing to do would be to cut the old crap and reweld in a new piece of metal but since you're very limited, isn't there some sort of paste you apply and it just stops the rust from spreading or is that bondo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett1414

The best thing to do would be to cut the old crap and reweld in a new piece of metal but since you're very limited, isn't there some sort of paste you apply and it just stops the rust from spreading or is that bondo?

Jb weld? I was thinking about using that but not sure if it will really work. Bondo is oike body filler right? I guess ill just try it and see what happens....if all else fails looks like ill be tenting a mig welder...

Brett1414

Jb weld? I was thinking about using that but not sure if it will really work. Bondo is oike body filler right? I guess ill just try it and see what happens....if all else fails looks like ill be renting a mig welder very soon...

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
No, I meant using an actual welder. Just use a MIG welder so you can get it right the first time.

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
You could use a adhesive like 3m panel bonding.
They use that stuff for floor pans on old vw busses. Just that hole looks bad from the pics everything els looks like surface rust

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Just sand as much of the rust out and prime and paint. Easiest way.
Hard way would cut and weld. Too much work for a small rust problem like that.

Alfredg94

Shou Ga Nai
that hole is just from the plastic plug that probably just got rotted out from the moisture/puddle of water that was sitting in there. its probably your antenna helping water get in there from when it rains. i have the same exactly rust spots in my car. i just wet sanded for now until i cut and replace, but finding where the water is coming from will prevent it from happening again when you do replace.

honestly i wouldnt weld yourself unless you have experience if you dont want to do the same project when your welding tears/breaks/etc.

so yeah wet sand as much as you can with fine grit and find the leak. you can use duct tape for the whole for now just make sure you cover the whole from the bottom as well, until you figure what you want to do

Last edited: